Red Claws Edge Stars
SALT LAKE CITY - The Salt Lake City Stars, the official NBA G League affiliate of the Utah Jazz, fell to the Maine Red Claws 107-103 tonight to begin their three-game road trip.
All five Stars' starters scored in double figures, led by Utah Jazz two-way player Jarrell Brantley, who scored a game-high 28 points to go with eight rebounds and five assists. Trevon Bluiett added 17 points, six rebounds and four assists, while Mike Scott filled the stat sheet with 10 points, seven assists, six rebounds and three steals. Kyle Collinsworth (15 points), Rodney Pryor (15 points) and Malik Benlevi (11 points) also scored in double figures for Salt Lake City.
The Red Claws were paced by Yante Maten, who tallied his ninth double-double of the season with 27 points and 14 rebounds. Boston Celtics two-way player Tremont Waters poured in 17 points, while fellow Celtics two-way player Tacko Fall recorded his ninth double-double with 14 points and 10 boards in 23 minutes off the bench. Celtics assignee Carsen Edwards added 14 points, and Kaiser Gates posted his fifth double-double of the season with 11 points and 14 rebounds.
The first quarter was a back-and-forth battle with five lead changes and one tie, but the Stars came out on top with a two-point lead (27-25). Salt Lake City expanded its lead in the second period, taking a 12-point advantage (57-45) at intermission. Maine hit a three to open the third period, but the Stars responded with five quick points to take their largest lead of the game at 15-points (66-51). The Red Claws chipped away, outscoring Salt Lake City 20-11 in the final nine minutes of the third quarter to cut the Stars' lead to six-points (77-71). Maine shot 70.0 percent from the field in the final frame and outscored Salt Lake City 36-26 to secure the four-point victory (107-103).
The Stars held the advantage in three-pointers made (13-6), assists (25-21) and fast break points (15-9), while the Red Claws grabbed more rebounds (48-38), blocked more shots (5-2) and tallied more points in the paint (68-54).
Salt Lake City will continue its three-game road trip with a matinee contest against the Westchester Knicks (New York Knicks affiliate) on Saturday, Jan. 18 at 1 p.m. (MT). The game will be streamed on Twitch.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Clippers Dominate Second Half to Take Down Texas - Texas Legends
- Hustle Set New Franchise Scoring Record in Win over Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Nets Complete Fourth Quarter Comeback to Defeat Maine at Home - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Drops Second Game of Road Trip to Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Drive Dominate in Friday Night Home Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Moore's Late-Game Heroics Lift Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Drop First Bout with Raptors 905 - Canton Charge
- Nets Stop Red Claws' Streak - Maine Red Claws
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Wayne Selden Jr. - South Bay Lakers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host MLK Day Celebration Game - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Pierre Jackson - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Roger Moute a Bidias - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bruno Caboclo Medical Update - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Edge Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.