Hustle Set New Franchise Scoring Record in Win over Lakers
Southaven, Miss. - The Memphis Hustle (19-6) set a franchise record for points in a game and tied the third-highest single game scoring total in the NBA G League this season, defeating the South Bay Lakers (10-16) 152-136 Friday night at Landers Center. Dusty Hannahs scored a career-high 35 points on 14-of-20 shooting (7-9 3P) to go with six assists and five boards.
The team's previous scoring high of 141 came against South Bay on March 23, 2018 in the inaugural season's home finale. Memphis also set a new franchise-high with 40 assists on its 55 made field goals. The team's previous mark of 38 came against Rio Grande Valley on December 17 of this season. Four Hustle players recorded six assists or more. Additionally, the Hustle fell one three-pointer shy of tying a franchise record for three-pointers (23 vs. South Bay; March 23, 2018).
The two teams traded buckets for the majority of the opening period, but a 10-0 run over a 2:04 stretch of quarter helped Memphis to a 46-39 advantage and marked the second-highest scoring total in a quarter for Memphis this season. Both teams were efficient offensively and shot above 60 percent in the frame, with Memphis knocking down 11 of its first 14 shots for the second straight game and both teams nailing seven three-pointers.
South Bay landed the first punch in the second, starting the period on a 12-2 run. The Lakers' shooting stayed hot as the team eventually knocked down 10 of its first 15 three-point attempts and gradually built a 10-point lead (66-56) with 5:44 left in the half. At this point, Memphis responded with an 11-2 run over another span of 2:04 to cut the deficit to one. The Lakers quickly pushed the lead back to eight, but the Hustle closed the final 2:08 of the half on a 12-4 run to tie the game at 79-79.
The teams' 79 points set season-highs for points in a single half by both the Hustle and any Hustle opponent. Memphis' 14 three-pointers in the half tied a franchise-high set earlier this season against South Bay on November 18 at Landers Center. The Lakers 13-of-22 shooting display from long range in the first set an opponent franchise record for threes made in a single half and an opponent season-high for three-point percentage in a half (.591).
Memphis gained final separation by outscoring South Bay 41-22 in the third quarter and continued its offensive efficiency by shooting 61.5 percent (16-26 FG) in the period. The Lakers cooled off in the third, shooting just 35.3 percent (6-17 FG; 2-4 3P) and committing eight turnovers that led to 12 Memphis points.
Yuta Watanabe posted his second straight double-double, collecting 26 points and 12 rebounds while knocking down 9-of-15 shot attempts. Jarrod Uthoff had 16 of his 20 points by halftime. Josh Jackson was productive once again, assembling a line of 19 points, six assists, four rebounds and three blocked shots. John Konchar had his usual share of all-around production as well, totaling 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals.
All eight Lakers that suited up finished in double figures led by Talen Horton-Tucker's 37 points. The Lakers assignee also finished with nine rebounds and six assists. Zach Norvell Jr. followed suit with 24 points while knocking down six of his 10 three-point attempts. Two-way player Kostas Antetokounmpo (11 points, 10 rebounds) and Jordan Caroline (11 points, 11 rebounds) each posted double-doubles.
The Hustle return to action on Wednesday, January 22 at 7 p.m. CT the Delaware Blue Coats at Landers Center. Tickets are still available starting at $10 each and fans wishing to attend can purchase tickets at ticketmaster.com, the Landers Center Box Office, online at MemphisHustle.com or by calling (901) 888-HOOP.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Clippers Dominate Second Half to Take Down Texas - Texas Legends
- Hustle Set New Franchise Scoring Record in Win over Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Nets Complete Fourth Quarter Comeback to Defeat Maine at Home - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Drops Second Game of Road Trip to Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Drive Dominate in Friday Night Home Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Moore's Late-Game Heroics Lift Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Drop First Bout with Raptors 905 - Canton Charge
- Nets Stop Red Claws' Streak - Maine Red Claws
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Wayne Selden Jr. - South Bay Lakers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host MLK Day Celebration Game - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Pierre Jackson - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Roger Moute a Bidias - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bruno Caboclo Medical Update - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Edge Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Memphis Hustle Stories
- Hustle Snap Five-Game Road Losing Streak in Matinee Win over Clippers
- Four Hustle Players Selected to Western Conference Midseason All-NBA G League Team
- Shorthanded Hustle Fall to Lakers 115-106 to Begin West Coast Trip
- Memphis Grizzlies Acquire Jordan Bell from Houston Rockets
- Endya Buford Recognized as Memphis Hustle High School Top Performer of the Month Presented by Campbell Clinic