South Bay Drops Second Game of Road Trip to Memphis
SOUTHAVEN, MS - In their third meeting of the season, the South Bay Lakers lost to the Memphis Hustle, 152-136, on Friday night. Talen Horton-Tucker paced the Lakers (10-16) with a career-best 37 points to go with nine rebounds, six assists and four blocks. Dusty Hannahs led Memphis (19-6) with 35 points, five rebounds and six assists.
South Bay trailed after one, 46-39, but Horton-Tucker put on a show in the opening frame, finishing with 15 points in the first period. The two teams went into the half all tied up at 79 apiece. Three Lakers scored in double figures in the first half, including 23 from Horton-Tucker, 14 points from Andre Ingram and 12 points off the bench from Javan Felix. Hannahs and Jarrod Uthoff scored 16 points apiece to pace the home team.
The Hustle pulled away in the third quarter and took a 120-101 lead into the final frame. Hannahs scored 13 more in the third quarter to lead Memphis. South Bay outscored their opponent in the fourth quarter, led by 11 points from Zach Norvell Jr., but they could not complete the comeback victory on the road.
Hannahs' team-high 35 points guided Memphis to the win, while Yuta Watanabe tallied a double-double with 26 points, 12 rebounds, two assists, two steals and a block. Uthoff recorded 20 points and Josh Jackson finished with 19 points, four rebounds, six assists, three blocks and one steal. John Konchar did some of everything with 16 points, seven rebounds, six assists and two steals and Ahmad Caver was the lone bench player in double figures with 10 points.
All eight players for South Bay scored in double figures, led by Horton-Tucker's career high and 24 points from Norvell Jr. Kostas Antetokounmpo grabbed his fourth double-double of the year with 11 points, 10 rebounds, four assists and four blocks, while Jordan Caroline nearly recorded a triple-double with 11 points, 11 rebounds and eight assists off the bench. Ingram scored 18 points (7-8 FG), Reggie Hearn and Felix scored 12 points each and Marcus Allen rounded it out with 11 points of his own.
South Bay will now head to Delaware to take on the Blue Coats on Monday, January 20 at 10:00am from the 76ers Fieldhouse in Wilmington, DE.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Clippers Dominate Second Half to Take Down Texas - Texas Legends
- Hustle Set New Franchise Scoring Record in Win over Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Nets Complete Fourth Quarter Comeback to Defeat Maine at Home - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Drops Second Game of Road Trip to Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Drive Dominate in Friday Night Home Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Moore's Late-Game Heroics Lift Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Drop First Bout with Raptors 905 - Canton Charge
- Nets Stop Red Claws' Streak - Maine Red Claws
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Wayne Selden Jr. - South Bay Lakers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host MLK Day Celebration Game - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Pierre Jackson - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Roger Moute a Bidias - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bruno Caboclo Medical Update - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Edge Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.