Nets Stop Red Claws' Streak
Uniondale, NY - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, saw their 7 game winning streak come to an end Friday night, falling on the road to the Long Island Nets, 111-102.
Maine (17-7) was led by Carsen Edwards, on assignment from the Boston Celtics. Edwards had his best offensive game with the Red Claws, finishing with 33 points and 7 rebounds. Tacko Fall recorded a 16 point-14 rebound performance for his 10th double-double of the season. Trey Davis added 11 points off the bench, while Tremont Waters and Kaiser Gates each scored 10 in the loss.
Long Island (8-16) was led by Chris Chiozza with 26 points, and Deng Adel with 21.
Edwards and Gates opened the game draining back-to-back threes, and Maine was off and running. Edwards hit another three to put the Red Claws up 20-11. Martin led the charge for the Nets, mounting a comeback. Martin's bucket late in the quarter made it just a 28-25 lead for Maine after 1.
In the 2nd, Fall began to turn it on on both ends of the court, but Deng Adel and the Nets hung tough. Tacko's hook shot put Maine up 2 at 37-36, hit back-to-back dunks to keep Maine ahead. Devin Cannady hit a three late in the quarter to make it a 1 point game at the break - the Red Claws led 49-48 at halftime, with Edwards leading the way with 12 points.
In the 3rd, Edwards continued to stay hot, pacing the Red Claws offense. Edwards hit a jumper to make it 74-71 , and followed it up with a deep three to put the Claws up 5. Paige buried a long three to make it 81-74 Claws, and Davis hit a lay-up at the buzzer to take a 83-78 lead into the 4th.
The Nets mounted a comeback, and Deng Adel's monster jam gave Long Island an 87-85 lead early in the 4th. Chris Chiozza hit a big three to put Long Island up 3. Ismael Sanogo fouled out of the game with 7:21 to go. Chiozza buried another three, as Long Island extended to 95-90. Edwards hit a big free throw worth three points to keep Maine close. Bibbs' lay-up made it 103-98 Long Island with 1:39 to go. Adel hit a tough running bank shot to put the game away. Maine was out-scored 33-19 in the 4th quarter.
The Red Claws shot 42% (39-93) from the floor, 29% (10-34) from three-point range, and 8-14 from the free throw line. Long Island shot 47% (44-94) from the field, 24% (10-41) from downtown, and 8-13 from the charity stripe.
The Red Claws return to action Sunday at College Park.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Clippers Dominate Second Half to Take Down Texas - Texas Legends
- Hustle Set New Franchise Scoring Record in Win over Lakers - Memphis Hustle
- Long Island Nets Complete Fourth Quarter Comeback to Defeat Maine at Home - Long Island Nets
- South Bay Drops Second Game of Road Trip to Memphis - South Bay Lakers
- Drive Dominate in Friday Night Home Win - Grand Rapids Drive
- Moore's Late-Game Heroics Lift Mad Ants to Third Consecutive Win - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Charge Drop First Bout with Raptors 905 - Cleveland Charge
- Nets Stop Red Claws' Streak - Maine Celtics
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Wayne Selden Jr. - South Bay Lakers
- Delaware Blue Coats to Host MLK Day Celebration Game - Delaware Blue Coats
- South Bay Lakers Acquire Pierre Jackson - South Bay Lakers
- Santa Cruz Warriors Acquire Roger Moute a Bidias - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bruno Caboclo Medical Update - Memphis Hustle
- Red Claws Edge Stars - Salt Lake City Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Celtics Stories
- Maine Celtics Announce Schedule for 2021-22 Season
- Jarell Christian Named Head Coach of Maine Celtics
- Celtics Sign Sam Hauser to Two-Way Contract
- Maine Celtics, Gifford's Ice Cream Announce Partnership
- Maine Celtics Partner with TD Bank to Fight Food Insecurity in Maine