Real Salt Lake Settle for 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy
SANDY, Utah - Real Salt Lake (4-4-5, 17 points) played to a 2-2 draw with the LA Galaxy on Wednesday night, seeing the team's home record in 2021 move to 2-2-4.
Albert Rusnák and Maikel Chang each scored first-half goals in the draw against the Galaxy while David Ochoa registered four saves and Aaron Herrera notched his team-leading sixth assist of the 2021 season.
RSL began the game with immediate pressure on the Galaxy backline and found the breakthrough goal in the 9th minute when Rusnák's left-footed effort easily found the back of the net from a Herrera cross. The goal marked Rusnák's third of the season, and first from open play in 2021. RSL didn't let off from there and were rewarded in the 26th minute with a second goal through Chang who worked the ball well in possession at the top of the area to fire a left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the near post for the 2-0 lead.
In the 33rd minute, LA Galaxy pulled a goal back through Victor Vazquez whose curling effort from just inside the penalty area found the top corner of the net, bringing the score to 2-1 at the halftime break.
In the second half the match opened as both teams saw chances to hit the back of the net. The Galaxy were the ones who found the only goal of the second half when Rayan Raveloson's header brought the match level in the 77th minute. In second-half stoppage time, second-half substitute Anderson Julio nearly found the winning goal when his header caromed off the crossbar before being cleared away as the match ended 2-2.
UP NEXT: Real Salt Lake will remain at home to welcome Rocky Mountain rival Colorado Rapids on Saturday, July 24. Kickoff is set for 8:00 p.m. MT.
GOAL SCORING RUNDOWN:
RSL: Albert Rusnák (Aaron Herrera, Maikel Chang) 9th minute - Following a quick give-and-go near the top of the penalty area, Herrera found time and space to send a low cross into the center of the penalty area. Rusnák ran onto the end of the cross and sent a left-footed effort into the far-side netting for the early lead.
RSL: Maikel Chang (Rubio Rubin) 26th minute - Receiving the ball in a wide area, Chang cut in towards the top of the box and found space to fire a low, left-footed shot into the bottom corner of the net to extend the RSL lead to 2-0.
LAG: Victor Vazquez (Samuel Grandsir, Sacha Kljestan) 33rd minute -Receiving the ball just inside the penalty area, Vazquez found a window past his defender to curl an effort towards the far post that found the top corner of the net.
LAG: Rayan Raveloson (Julian Araujo, Derrick Williams) 77th minute -Collecting the ball out wide, Araujo sent a curling cross into the center of the area where the ball was headed home emphatically by Raveloson to level the match.
- Defender Toni Datković was unavailable as an injury precaution.
- In the 9th minute of the match, Albert Rusnák scored the game's opening goal and in the same minute, reached his 10,000th minute played for RSL.
- Defenders Andrew Brody and Zack Farnsworth and forward Jeizon Ramirez were unavailable due to injury. Ramirez has been placed on the injured list with a quad injury and will be eligible to return to action after tonight's match. Brody underwent successful surgery after suffering a toe injury in RSL's 1-0 loss to LAFC on July 3.
- Real Salt Lake had four RSL Academy products in the XI and five on the 20-man roster. Additionally, one starter and three players on the 20-man roster were previously signed to the Monarchs.
Match: Real Salt Lake vs. LA Galaxy
Date: July 21, 2021
Venue: Rio Tinto Stadium; Sandy, Utah
Weather: Cloudy and 90 Degrees
Scoring Summary: 1 2 F
Real Salt Lake 2 0 2
LA Galaxy 1 1 2
RSL: Albert Rusnák (Aaron Herrera, Maikel Chang) 9'
RSL: Maikel Chang (Rubio Rubin) 26'
LAG: Victor Vazquez (Samuel Grandsir, Sacha Kljestan) 33'
LAG: Rayan Raveloson (Julian Arujo, Derrick Williams) 77'
Real Salt Lake (4-2-3-1): David Ochoa; Aaron Herrera, Justen Glad, Marcelo Silva, Donny Toia; Everton Luiz (Justin Meram 83'), Pablo Ruiz (Nick Besler 73'); Maikel Chang (Anderson Julio 74'), Damir Kreilach, Albert Rusnak; Rubio Rubin (Bobby Wood 88')
Subs not used: Zac MacMath, Ashtone Morgan, Erik Holt, Justin Portillo, Jonathan Menendez
LA Galaxy (4-3-3): Jonathan Bond; Julian Araujo, Derrick Williams, Jorge Villafaña, Nick DePuy; Rayan Raveloson (Daniel Aguirre 90'+1), Victor Vazquez (Adam Saldana 76'), Sacha Kljestan; Kevin Cabral (Augustine Williams 90'+7), Samuel Grandsir (Daniel Steres 77'), Cameron Dunbar (Ethan Zubak HT)
Subs not used: Jonathan Klinsmann, Danilo Acosta, Jonathan Perez
Stats Summary: RSL / LAG
Shots: 11 / 12
Shots on Goal: 4 / 6
Saves: 4 / 2
Corner Kicks: 4 / 5
Offside: 2 / 3
Fouls: 7 / 15
LAG: Rayan Raveloson (caution) 72'
LAG: Sacha Kljestan (caution) 77'
Referee: Kevin Stott
Assistant Referees: Jeff Hosking, Diego Blas
4th Official: Michael Radchuk
VAR: Daniel Radford
AVAR: Brian Dunn
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 21, 2021
- LAFC Loses 2-1 in Portland on Late Timbers Goal - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Settle for 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Strikes Late in 1-1 Draw vs. San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Falls 2-0 to Colorado Rapids - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Draws FC Cincinnati 1-1 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Chicago Fire FC on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to three matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville Soccer Club Earns Road Point against Defending MLS Cup Champions - Nashville SC
- Revolution Rout Inter Miami CF, 5-0, for Second Straight Win - New England Revolution
- New York and Toronto Draw 1-1 at BMO Field on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC and D.C. United Battle to 2-2 Draw at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls 0-5 to New England Revolution - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orlando City SC Statement Regarding Forward Chris Mueller - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Sporting Kansas City Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Wilf Family Completes Purchase of Orlando City Soccer Club and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- #COLvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Take Me Home: Vancouver Whitecaps FC Are Coming Back to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Schedule Change: Vancouver Whitecaps vs Austin FC Moved to September 4 - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Caiser Gomes on Loan from North Texas SC - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Second Annual RAISE for P.L.A.Y.S. Fundraiser - Chicago Fire FC
- NI Announced as Official Sponsor of Austin FC - Austin FC
- Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team Camp During 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 0-0 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- 'Caps, Houston Finish off Scoreless Draw - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Real Salt Lake Stories
- Real Salt Lake Visits Portland for Crucial Western Conference Clash
- Real Salt Lake to Host Hispanic Heritage Night on September 29
- Real Salt Lake Drops Seattle Sounders FC 1-0
- Real Salt Lake Closes Three-Game Week Saturday against Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes