Inter Miami CF Falls 0-5 to New England Revolution
Inter Miami lined up for the match with the same starting XI that was slated to appear against the New York Red Bulls on Saturday; recent signing Nick Marsman started in goal, making his debut for the team. The team's two other recent additions - Kieran Gibbs and Indiana Vassilev - also made the matchday squad. The XI, meanwhile, featured the return of Robbie Robinson, who lined up alongside Rodolfo Pizarro, Lewis Morgan and Gonzalo Higuaín in attack for the first time since the team's second match of 2021 in late April. Ryan Shawcross also returned to the starting lineup while Leandro González Pirez again donned the captain's armband, while Sami Guediri made his return to the bench after recovering from injury.
New England opened the scoring in the 15th minute; Carles Gil delivered a free kick into the box for Arnór Ingvi Traustason, who headed it in for a 0-1 lead. The visitors doubled their lead in the 27th minute; Marsman made a save on an initial effort from Thomas McNamara, but the rebound found Teal Bunburry who scored with his effort to make it 0-2.
In the 36th minute, Traustason doubled his tally with a strike after a corner found him following a scramble in the box. New England tacked on a fourth goal just before halftime; Gil sent in a cross in from the endline that found Adam Buksa in front of goal, who volleyed a strike into the back of the net to make it 0-4.
New England added to its tally late in the second half, when Buksa scored his second of the match.
Inter Miami CF vs. New England Revolution: July 21, 2021
Inter Miami Debuts
The team's three most recent signings - Kieran Gibbs, Nick Marsman and Indiana Vassilev - made their team debut in the match. Marsman started in goal while Gibbs and Vassilev came off the bench in the second half.
"The most important thing is this fútbol club. Now we have to start fighting for this futbol club and we have to work even harder, we need to come back into training tomorrow with added determination to make this club a success. That's my job to lead that," said head coach Phil Neville.
IMCF - 48.9%
NE - 51.1%
IMCF - 15
NE - 13
IMCF - 6
NE - 1
IMCF - 10
NE - 3
IMCF - 13
NE - 9
Inter Miami will be back in action on Sunday, July 25 at 7:30 p.m. ET when it hosts the Philadelphia Union at DRV PNK Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 21, 2021
- LAFC Loses 2-1 in Portland on Late Timbers Goal - Los Angeles FC
- Real Salt Lake Settle for 2-2 Draw with LA Galaxy - Real Salt Lake
- Sporting Strikes Late in 1-1 Draw vs. San Jose - Sporting Kansas City
- FC Dallas Falls 2-0 to Colorado Rapids - FC Dallas
- Atlanta United Draws FC Cincinnati 1-1 - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Draw 2-2 against Chicago Fire FC on the Road - D.C. United
- Quakes extend unbeaten streak to three matches - San Jose Earthquakes
- Nashville Soccer Club Earns Road Point against Defending MLS Cup Champions - Nashville SC
- Revolution Rout Inter Miami CF, 5-0, for Second Straight Win - New England Revolution
- New York and Toronto Draw 1-1 at BMO Field on Wednesday Night - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire FC and D.C. United Battle to 2-2 Draw at Soldier Field - Chicago Fire FC
- Inter Miami CF Falls 0-5 to New England Revolution - Inter Miami CF
- Toronto FC (1) - New York Red Bulls (1) Post Game Summary - Toronto FC
- Orlando City SC Statement Regarding Forward Chris Mueller - Orlando City SC
- Earthquakes Face Sporting Kansas City Tonight - San Jose Earthquakes
- Wilf Family Completes Purchase of Orlando City Soccer Club and Orlando Pride - Orlando City SC
- #COLvDAL: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- Take Me Home: Vancouver Whitecaps FC Are Coming Back to Canada - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Schedule Change: Vancouver Whitecaps vs Austin FC Moved to September 4 - Austin FC
- FC Dallas Acquires Caiser Gomes on Loan from North Texas SC - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Announce Second Annual RAISE for P.L.A.Y.S. Fundraiser - Chicago Fire FC
- NI Announced as Official Sponsor of Austin FC - Austin FC
- Henry Kessler Called in to United States Men's National Team Camp During 2021 Concacaf Gold Cup - New England Revolution
- Houston Dynamo FC Draw 0-0 with Vancouver Whitecaps FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- 'Caps, Houston Finish off Scoreless Draw - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF to Visit the Columbus Crew on SaturdayÃÂ
- Inter Miami CF and AutoNation Fill 2,500 Comfort Bags for Cancer Patients
- Inter Miami CF to Help Drive out Cancer on October 20, Host DRVPNK Night Presented by AutoNation
- Curry Named to USL League One Team of the Week Ã¢ÂÂ Week 27
- Inter Miami CF Falls 1-0 to New York Red Bulls on the Road