Rea Keeps Winning, Iowa Sinks San Antonio
DES MOINES, IA - Colin Rea captured his 13th win of the season as the Iowa Cubs (67-59) downed the San Antonio Missions (74-52) 9-5, Monday at Principal Park.
San Antonio shot to the lead with three runs in the first inning, but wouldn't hold on for long. Iowa scored one in the first on a Dixon Machado RBI double, before a Donnie Dewees three-run shot thrust the I-Cubs ahead in the second.
The two teams battled back-and-forth as the Missions tied the game with a run in the third and Iowa plated another in the fourth. San Antonio locked the game for the third time with a run in the fifth.
The I-Cubs rallied with two outs in the fifth to take the lead for good. Back-to-back walks by P.J. Higgins and Robel Garcia started the charge and a Jim Adduci double brought in the go-ahead run. An error on a ground ball hit by Rea allowed another pair to score, putting Iowa up 8-5.
Craig Brooks helped Iowa added insurance with a pinch-hit double to lead off the eighth. The pitcher moved to third on a Dewees single and was brought in on a single from Albert Almora Jr.
Rea (W, 13-3) allowed five runs through 5.0 frames, walked three and struck out seven. The I-Cubs' bullpen was brilliant as Duane Underwood Jr. allowed just two base runners through 2.0 scoreless frames while fanning three. Dakota Mekkes and Dillon Maples each contributed perfect frames to close the game.
- Jim Adduci went 3-for-4 with three runs, two doubles and one RBI.
- Colin Rea's 13 wins are the most for an I-Cub since Nate Teut went 13-8 in 2001. He is one victory shy of matching a franchise record.
- Donnie Dewees went 2-for-5 with a home run and three RBI.
Iowa and San Antonio play the second game of the set at 7:08 Tuesday at Principal Park. For more information and tickets, visit www.iowacubs.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Sounds Score Early to Send Dodgers to 11-5 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Crush Dodgers to Start Road Trip - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose to Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Rea Keeps Winning, Iowa Sinks San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Overwhelms Baby Cakes, 6-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chupacabras Edge Musica 5-4 in Game One Thriller - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Finish Just Short against Round Rock, 5-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Club 'Cakes 6-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aderlin Rodriguez Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Las Vegas Aviators Announce 2020 Home Schedule at Las Vegas BallparkÂ® - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-66) - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators, Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 2020 Triple-A Championship Game - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (59-66) vs Round Rock Chupacabras (75-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Las Vegas Aviators to Host 2020 Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Rodriguez, Palumbo Named PCL Players of the Week for August 12 -18 - PCL
- Joe Palumbo Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Reveal 2020 Season Schedule - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats' Penultimate Regular Season Homestand Kicks off Tonight - Sacramento River Cats
- King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Generating a Blowout Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Power Way Past Isotopes, 7-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Take Series Finale from Isotopes 7-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.