Sounds Crush Dodgers to Start Road Trip
OKLAHOMA CITY - The Nashville Sounds scored five runs in the first inning and never looked back in a road trip-opening 11-5 win over the Oklahoma City Dodgers Monday night at Chickasaw Bricktown Ballpark.
Matt Davidson started the offensive barrage with a three-run homer off Oklahoma City starter J.D. Martin in the first inning. Andy Ibanez joined the home run derby with a solo blast in the second inning and Patrick Wisdom launched a two-run shot in the eighth. For Davidson, it was his team-leading 28th of the season. Wisdom is one shy of Davidson with 27.
The Sounds led the game from start to finish despite Oklahoma City's four-run outburst in the second inning. After the Ibanez homer gave the Sounds a 6-0 lead, the Dodgers recorded four hits in the second inning off Nashville starter Austin Bibens-Dirkx, including three doubles to trim the deficit to 6-4.
Wisdom and Davidson were at it again in the top of the fourth. After Christian Lopes started the frame with a double off the wall in left-center, Wisdom knocked him in with a single to right field. Wisdom swiped second base, then came home when Davidson singled to right.
Oklahoma City tallied a run in the fifth and Nashville followed suit in the sixth. Bibens-Dirkx allowed five runs (four earned) in five innings and was followed by four scoreless innings from the bullpen.
Wisdom put a stamp on his huge game with a knockout blow in the eighth - the two-run blast to center field to give Nashville and 11-5 lead. Davidson and Wisdom combined for six hits, six RBI and four runs scored.
Kyle Bird tossed the sixth and seventh, Reed Garrett took the eighth, and Jake Petricka finished the game with a zero in the ninth.
Games two and three of the five-game series are scheduled for Tuesday night. The Sounds and Dodgers will resume a suspended game from May 10, then play another nine-inning contest. First pitch of the resumed game is scheduled for 5:05 p.m.
With tonight's 11-5 win, the Sounds improved to 57-67 in 2019.
The Sounds hit three more home runs tonight and have now homered in 20 consecutive games. The team has hit 37 home runs during the 20-game stretch.
Andy Ibanez was hit by a pitch in the second inning to extend his on-base streak to 19 games.
Matt Davidson hit his 28th home run of the season in the first inning. The 28 home runs are tied for 8th-most by a Sound in a single season.
Nick Solak's 18-game hitting streak came to an end with a 0-for-3 night before he was pulled in the sixth inning.
Kevin Mendoza collected the first Triple-A hit in his career with a single in the ninth.
The 2019 season is the 42nd in Nashville Sounds franchise history and first as the Triple-A affiliate of the Texas Rangers. Single-game tickets are available now by calling (615) 690-4487 or by visiting www.nashvillesounds.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Sounds Score Early to Send Dodgers to 11-5 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Crush Dodgers to Start Road Trip - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose to Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Rea Keeps Winning, Iowa Sinks San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Overwhelms Baby Cakes, 6-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chupacabras Edge Musica 5-4 in Game One Thriller - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Finish Just Short against Round Rock, 5-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Club 'Cakes 6-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aderlin Rodriguez Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Las Vegas Aviators Announce 2020 Home Schedule at Las Vegas BallparkÂ® - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-66) - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators, Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 2020 Triple-A Championship Game - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (59-66) vs Round Rock Chupacabras (75-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Las Vegas Aviators to Host 2020 Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Rodriguez, Palumbo Named PCL Players of the Week for August 12 -18 - PCL
- Joe Palumbo Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Reveal 2020 Season Schedule - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats' Penultimate Regular Season Homestand Kicks off Tonight - Sacramento River Cats
- King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Generating a Blowout Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Power Way Past Isotopes, 7-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Take Series Finale from Isotopes 7-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Sounds Win Season Finale on Walk-Off
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (65-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-59)
- Dillard Dazzles in Front of Sellout Crowd
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (64-72) vs. San Antonio Missions (80-58)
- Late Home Run by Missions Defeats Sounds