King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers
TACOMA, WA - Seattle Mariners pitcher Felix Hernandez is scheduled to make a Major League rehab start with the Tacoma Rainiers on Monday night at Cheney Stadium, Tacoma manager Daren Brown confirmed Saturday. The Rainiers host the Salt Lake Bees, Triple-A affiliate of the Los Angeles Angels, at 7:05 p.m. PDT in what will be Hernandez's second appearance with the club this season.
The six-time All-Star is continuing to recover from a Grade 1 lat strain that he suffered with the Mariners in May. The 33-year-old made an abbreviated start for the Rainiers on June 14 at San Antonio, removing himself from the contest after 2 1/3 innings due to fatigue. Hernandez threw 31 pitches (18 strikes) and surrendered two earned runs against the Missions, his final game until August 2 with the Short Season-A Everett Aqua Sox.
Hernandez made two more appearances before having his assignment transferred to Tacoma, one with the Advanced-A Modesto Nuts on August 8 and another with Everett last Wednesday when he went four shutout innings with eight strikeouts.
The Valencia, Venezuela native made his Tacoma debut in 2005, going 9-4 with a 2.25 ERA across 19 appearances before being promoted to Seattle for his Major League debut on August 4, 2005. Since, the former top prospect has appeared with Tacoma in two other seasons, making one appearance on July 15, 2016 while recovering from a calf injury, and making three starts at Cheney Stadium in June 2017 while rehabbing a biceps tendinitis injury.
The Mariners have not yet announced if Hernandez will be activated when the club returns to Seattle on Friday.
First pitch of Monday's contest at Cheney Stadium between the Rainiers and Salt Lake is set for 7:05 p.m. PDT. Mike Curto will have full coverage on South Sound Talk 850, with audio streaming available on the Rainiers TuneIn Radio Network.
All tickets, group outings, and suites packages for the 2019 season are available for purchase in person at the Cheney Stadium Box Office, online at TacomaRainiers.com and WeRTacoma.com, or over the phone at (253) 752-7707. The most up-to-date news and notes about the Rainiers throughout the season can be found by following the Rainiers on Twitter (@RainiersLand), Instagram (tacomarainiers) or liking the team on Facebook.
Images from this story
Felix Hernandez with the Tacoma Rainiers
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Sounds Score Early to Send Dodgers to 11-5 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Crush Dodgers to Start Road Trip - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose to Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Rea Keeps Winning, Iowa Sinks San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Overwhelms Baby Cakes, 6-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chupacabras Edge Musica 5-4 in Game One Thriller - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Finish Just Short against Round Rock, 5-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Club 'Cakes 6-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aderlin Rodriguez Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Las Vegas Aviators Announce 2020 Home Schedule at Las Vegas BallparkÂ® - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-66) - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators, Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 2020 Triple-A Championship Game - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (59-66) vs Round Rock Chupacabras (75-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Las Vegas Aviators to Host 2020 Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Rodriguez, Palumbo Named PCL Players of the Week for August 12 -18 - PCL
- Joe Palumbo Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Reveal 2020 Season Schedule - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats' Penultimate Regular Season Homestand Kicks off Tonight - Sacramento River Cats
- King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Generating a Blowout Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Power Way Past Isotopes, 7-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Take Series Finale from Isotopes 7-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Rainiers Among Minor League Baseball's Top-25 in Merchandise Sales for Fifth-Straight Year
- Rainiers Giving Tacoma a Taste of Baseball with "Cheneyville Grab N' Go" Drive-Thru
- Seattle Mariners to Utilize Cheney Stadium for "Taxi Squad" Practices, Simulated Games Beginning July 27
- Tacoma Rainiers Statement Regarding Cancelation of 2020 Minor League Baseball Season
- Tacoma Rainiers Hosting Virtual Watch Party for Annual 3rd of July Fireworks Show