Chasers Club 'Cakes 6-1
Omaha right fielder Jorge Bonifacio smashed three hits, with first baseman Erich Weiss and first baseman Adam Moore adding one home run each, while Storm Chasers starter Brian Flynn fanned seven over five shutout frames in a 6-1 victory over the New Orleans Baby Cakes on Monday evening at the Shrine on Airline.
Omaha got the only runs they would need via a two-run third highlighted by CF Nick Heath 's RBI single and SS Jecksson Flores ' squeeze bunt. After LF Elier Hernandez upped the advantage to three with an RBI single in the sixth, Weiss mashed a two-run blast in the eighth, followed one inning later by Moore's solo shot. New Orleans C Tyler Heineman ended Omaha's shutout hopes via a run-scoring single in the ninth.
Bonifacio (3-5, 2 R, 2B) was joined by Heath (2-3, RBI), Hernandez (2-4, R, 2B, RBI) and 3B Erick Mejia (2-5) in posting multi-hit efforts. Heineman (3-4, RBI) and third baseman Rosell Herrera (2-3, R, 2B, BB), meanwhile, combined to record five of New Orleans' seven knocks.
Flynn (5.0 IP, 3 H, 0 R, BB, 7 K) matched a season-high with his seven punchouts, scattering three hits in his five scoreless innings. Relievers Bryan Brickhouse (1.1 IP, H, BB, K), Kyle Zimmer (1.2 IP, H, K), Ofreidy Gomez (0.1 IP, 2 H, R, ER, 2 BB, K) and Andres Machado (0.2 IP) supported Flynn by firing the final four frames, with Machado notching his third save. New Orleans starter Joe Gunkel (7.2 IP, 11 H, 5 R, 5 ER, 0 BB, K) suffered the defeat.
The Storm Chasers and Baby Cakes are set to continue their four-game set on Tuesday night, with first pitch scheduled for 6:30pm CT.
Omaha returns to Werner Park to wrap up the 2019 season with a seven-game homestand from August 26 through September 2, hosting Nashville and the Round Rock Express. First pitch of the series opener on Monday, August 26 is set for 7:05pm CT.
Tickets for that game and all remaining Storm Chasers home contests can be purchased online at www.omahastormchasers.com, or by calling the Werner Park Ticket Office from noon until 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday at (402) 738-5100.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Sounds Score Early to Send Dodgers to 11-5 Defeat - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Sounds Crush Dodgers to Start Road Trip - Nashville Sounds
- Missions Lose to Iowa - San Antonio Missions
- Rea Keeps Winning, Iowa Sinks San Antonio - Iowa Cubs
- Omaha Overwhelms Baby Cakes, 6-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Chupacabras Edge Musica 5-4 in Game One Thriller - Round Rock Express
- Redbirds Finish Just Short against Round Rock, 5-4 - Memphis Redbirds
- Chasers Club 'Cakes 6-1 - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Aderlin Rodriguez Named PCL Player of the Week - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Las Vegas Aviators Announce 2020 Home Schedule at Las Vegas BallparkÂ® - Las Vegas Aviators
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (56-67) at Oklahoma City Dodgers (58-66) - Nashville Sounds
- Aviators, Las Vegas Ballpark to Host 2020 Triple-A Championship Game - Las Vegas Aviators
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Iowa Cubs - San Antonio Missions
- Game Notes: Memphis Musica (59-66) vs Round Rock Chupacabras (75-49) - Memphis Redbirds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - August 19, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Las Vegas Aviators to Host 2020 Triple-A National Championship Game - PCL
- Rodriguez, Palumbo Named PCL Players of the Week for August 12 -18 - PCL
- Joe Palumbo Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Redbirds Reveal 2020 Season Schedule - Memphis Redbirds
- River Cats' Penultimate Regular Season Homestand Kicks off Tonight - Sacramento River Cats
- King Felix Returns to Cheney Stadium on Monday for Rehab Assignment with Rainiers - Tacoma Rainiers
- Generating a Blowout Victory - San Antonio Missions
- Aviators Power Way Past Isotopes, 7-2 - Las Vegas Aviators
- Aviators Take Series Finale from Isotopes 7-2 - Albuquerque Isotopes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Omaha Storm Chasers Stories
- "50 Summers" Selected for 14th Annual Baseball Film Festival at National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum
- Chasers, USL Omaha Announce Addition of Ryan Querry as Chief Revenue Officer
- Chasers Shut out Express 6-0 in 2019 Finale
- Express Topple Chasers 5-3
- Chasers Halt Express 4-0