Rampage Sled Hockey Team To Host First Tournament This Weekend
SAN ANTONIO (January 6, 2010) - The San Antonio Rampage Sled Hockey Team will host their first sled hockey tournament this weekend starting Friday and will run through Sunday with games being played at the AT&T Center and the Ice and Golf Center at Northwoods.
The Rampage sled hockey team is a member of the Midwest Sled Hockey League and will host three teams in their league including the Minnesota Northern, DASA St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks.
The tournament kicks off this Friday at 7 p.m. with a matchup between the San Antonio Rampage Sled Hockey Team and the DASA St. Louis Blues Sled Hockey Team at the Ice and Golf Center at Northwoods. Admission is FREE for all sled hockey tournament events over the course of the weekend.
Below is the tournament schedule:
Date Time Location Teams
Friday, Jan. 8 7:00 p.m. Northwoods San Antonio vs. St. Louis
Friday, Jan. 8 8:45 p.m. Northwoods Minnesota vs. Chicago
Saturday, Jan. 9 8:00 a.m. Northwoods Minnesota vs. San Antonio
Saturday, Jan. 9 9:45 a.m. Northwoods Chicago vs. St. Louis
Saturday, Jan. 9 2:00 p.m. AT&T Center St. Louis vs. Minnesota
Saturday, Jan. 9 3:30 p.m. AT&T Center San Antonio vs. Chicago
Sunday, Jan. 10 9:15 a.m. Northwoods Chicago vs. Minnesota
Sunday, Jan. 10 11:00 a.m. Northwoods St. Louis vs. San Antonio
The San Antonio Rampage Sled Hockey Team is the only sled hockey team in the United States that consists of all wounded military service members. The team is run by Operation Comfort, a non profit organization that works with wounded service members coming from Iraq and Afghanistan who are recovering at Brooke Army Medical Center in San Antonio, Texas.
The team is led by Lonnie Hannah, a two-time Paralympian who was named USA Hockey's Disabled Athlete of the Year this past summer. Hannah helped the United States Sledge Hockey Team capture the gold medal in Salt Lake City in 2002 and a bronze medal in 2006 in Turino. He most recently helped Team USA to its first-ever gold medal at the 2009 International Paralympic Committee Ice Sledge Hockey World Championship.
The Rampage Sled Hockey Team held its first practice on January 19, 2007. Operation Comfort presented the team with sleds donated from their organization and the San Antonio Rampage of the American Hockey League (AHL) outfitted the sled hockey team with equipment and jerseys. The Rampage (AHL) continues to host various fundraising events, including their annual Military Appreciation Night, to raise money to support the Rampage Sled Hockey Team. The sled hockey team started with seven players and has quickly gained popularity in which the team now consists of 27 players. The team began playing in tournaments in 2008 and has since traveled to Illinois, Utah, New York, Massachusetts, Missouri and Texas.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2010
- Texas Stars Come From Behind In 3-2 OT Win Over Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Vishnevskiy Leads Stars Past Aeros 3-2 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Tame Wolves With 3-1 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Legein Lifts Phantoms To 4-3 OT Win In Albany - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Rally Falls Short In 3-2 Loss To San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Hit The Marc, Win 2-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Holds On To Early Lead For 3-2 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Earn Come-From-Behind Overtime Win - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Lose Dogfight 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Lose Heartbreaker 3-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Devils Shock Wolf Pack 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Falcons Come Up Short In Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Hold on For 5-4 Victory Over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- A Letter From The President - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Announce Schedule Change - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Return Home Thursday, Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce Schedule Change - Providence Bruins
- Ben Bishop Named WPC Player Of The Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Announce Details Of Taco Bell Night At The Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Knighthawks Announce Three-Year Marketing Partnership With Seneca Gaming Corporation - Rochester Americans
- Martinez Gets The Call From LA - Manchester Monarchs
- 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic To Be Televised To More Than 100 Million Households - AHL
- Griffins Alum Brian Lashoff Wins Gold With Team USA At World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Recall Forward Keegan Dansereau From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team To Host First Tournament This Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Minnesota Wild Recalls LW Robbie Earl - Houston Aeros
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Daniel Tkaczuk To PTO - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits -- 1/6/10 - AHL
- LaCouture Released By P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Sharp To San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- River Rats Sign Albany Native Marc Cavosie To PTO - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Sign Two Players To Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Welcome Rampage For Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weiman's Strong Performance Not Enough In Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Antonio Rampage Stories
- San Antonio Rampage Announce 2018-19 Schedule
- San Antonio Rampage Announce Date for 2018-19 Regular Season Home Opener
- Drew Bannister Named Head Coach of the San Antonio Rampage
- San Antonio Rampage Announce Schedule Breakdown for 2018-19 Season
- Nine Former Rampage Players Participating in 2018 IIhf World Championship