Admirals Sign Two Players To Tryout Contracts
NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk Admirals have signed defenseman Kenny Macaulay and forward Connor Shields to Professional Tryout Contracts (PTOs).
Macaulay, 25, is a 5-foot-10, 193-pound defenseman from Baddeck, Nova Scotia. He has split the season between the Stockton Thunder of the ECHL and the San Antonio Rampage of the AHL. In 22 games for the Thunder, Macaulay has two goals and 14 points. He ranks third overall on the team in assists and leads all defensemen in scoring. Macaulay also appeared in four games for the Rampage and was scoreless.
A third-year pro, Macaulay has appeared in 57 career AHL contests between the Rampage, Rockford IceHogs and Portland Pirates, scoring one goal and ten points. He also appeared in five Calder Cup Playoff contests for the Pirates last season and registered an assist.
In 103 career ECHL contests between the Thunder and Fresno Falcons, Macaulay has nine goals and 58 points. He is a two-time ECHL All-Star (2008, 2009) and captained Fresno in 2008-09.
Macaulay appeared in 146 career collegiate games between the University of Vermont and the University of Findlay scoring 12 goals and 62 points.
Shields, 26, is a 6-foot-0, 190-pound forward from Edmonton, Alberta. The pro rookie has appeared in 32 games for the ECHL's Johnstown Chiefs this season and has scored 14 goals - including seven on the power play - and 28 points. He leads the Chiefs in goals and points. He also ranks among the ECHL rookie lead in points (6th), goals (T-5th) and power play goals (T-1st ).
Shields was recently named to the American Conference roster for the 2010 ECHL All-Star Game. He was also named ECHL Rookie of the Month for November 2009, registering nine goals and 17 points in 13 games.
Shields joined the Chiefs this season after completing a four-year collegiate hockey career at Dartmouth College last spring. In 105 games with the Big Green, Shields recorded 19 goals and 49 points.
The Admirals will wrap up a three-game homestand tonight against the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins. The puck drops at 7:05 p.m. The broadcast begins at 6:50 p.m. on STAR 1310-AM, star1310.com and ahllive.com.
The next home action for the Admirals will be a pair of games against the Syracuse Crunch on Friday and Saturday. Friday is All Faith Night with special discounted group tickets available for organizations of all faiths.
Saturday is Special Olympics Night and 2010 Pro Sports Calendar Giveaway Night. Discounted fundraising tickets are available through the Admirals website with proceeds going to Special Olympics of Virginia. Plus, a limited amount of 2010 Pro Sports Calendars featuring the Admirals and Norfolk Tides will be given away at the gates.
For a complete schedule and details of the promotions, please visit norfolkadmirals.com or call (757) 640-1212.
To purchase tickets to any Admirals game, you may visit the Scope Box Office weekdays from 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., visit any Ticketmaster outlet, call Ticketmaster at 1-800-745-3000 or visit Ticketmaster online at ticketmaster.com. Don't miss a minute of the action by purchasing your 2009-10 season tickets today. Stop by the Admirals' Administrative Offices at Scope, call (757) 640-1212 weekdays from 9:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. or visit norfolkadmirals.com anytime!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2010
- Texas Stars Come From Behind In 3-2 OT Win Over Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Vishnevskiy Leads Stars Past Aeros 3-2 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Tame Wolves With 3-1 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Legein Lifts Phantoms To 4-3 OT Win In Albany - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Rally Falls Short In 3-2 Loss To San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Hit The Marc, Win 2-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Holds On To Early Lead For 3-2 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Earn Come-From-Behind Overtime Win - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Lose Dogfight 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Lose Heartbreaker 3-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Devils Shock Wolf Pack 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Falcons Come Up Short In Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Hold on For 5-4 Victory Over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- A Letter From The President - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Announce Schedule Change - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Return Home Thursday, Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce Schedule Change - Providence Bruins
- Ben Bishop Named WPC Player Of The Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Announce Details Of Taco Bell Night At The Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Knighthawks Announce Three-Year Marketing Partnership With Seneca Gaming Corporation - Rochester Americans
- Martinez Gets The Call From LA - Manchester Monarchs
- 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic To Be Televised To More Than 100 Million Households - AHL
- Griffins Alum Brian Lashoff Wins Gold With Team USA At World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Recall Forward Keegan Dansereau From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team To Host First Tournament This Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Minnesota Wild Recalls LW Robbie Earl - Houston Aeros
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Daniel Tkaczuk To PTO - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits -- 1/6/10 - AHL
- LaCouture Released By P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Sharp To San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- River Rats Sign Albany Native Marc Cavosie To PTO - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Sign Two Players To Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Welcome Rampage For Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weiman's Strong Performance Not Enough In Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Norfolk Admirals Stories
- Ten Countries to be Represented When 2018 Training Camp Opens on September 28
- Admirals Agree to Terms with Forward Connor Hurley
- Reed Named Public Relations Manager and Broadcaster for the Norfolk Admirals
- Cammarata Acquired by the Norfolk Admirals
- Admirals Add Forward Gialedakis