Griffins Alum Brian Lashoff Wins Gold With Team USA At World Junior Championship
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - One former and one current member of the Grand Rapids Griffins each acquitted himself very well at the 2010 World Junior Championship in Saskatchewan.
Defenseman Brian Lashoff, who made his pro debut with the Griffins late last season, won a gold medal with Team USA thanks to a Wednesday's thrilling 6-5 overtime win against host Canada. Lashoff, 19, registered two assists and a plus-one rating in seven games, helping the United States to just its second goal medal (2004) in the history of the prestigious tournament.
Last spring, the Detroit Red Wings prospect made his debut with the Griffins as an 18 year old, tallying five points (1-4-5) in six regular season contests before posting five more points (1-4-5) in eight appearances during the 2009 Calder Cup Playoffs.
Meanwhile, left wing Tomas Tatar has been reassigned to the Griffins by the Red Wings from the Slovakian national junior team, and he is expected to return to Grand Rapids' lineup tonight when the San Antonio Rampage pay a 7 p.m. visit to Van Andel Arena.
The 19-year-old Tatar, the youngest player in the American Hockey League, helped Slovakia to an eighth-place finish at the tournament, ranking among his country's leaders with three goals (2nd), five points (T3rd) and a plus-two rating (1st) in six games.
Tatar, who stands seventh on the Griffins in scoring (8-9-17) despite missing their last 10 games, should bring a spark to a team that has gone 2-7-0-1 since his Dec. 15 departure. The first Red Wings draft pick (2nd choice, 60th overall in 2009) to start a season with the Griffins in his draft year, he currently stands among the AHL's top rookies with eight goals (T15th), a plus-11 rating (8th), three game-winning goals (T5th) and a 0.200 shooting percentage (4th).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2010
- Texas Stars Come From Behind In 3-2 OT Win Over Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Vishnevskiy Leads Stars Past Aeros 3-2 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Tame Wolves With 3-1 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Legein Lifts Phantoms To 4-3 OT Win In Albany - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Rally Falls Short In 3-2 Loss To San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Hit The Marc, Win 2-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Holds On To Early Lead For 3-2 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Earn Come-From-Behind Overtime Win - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Lose Dogfight 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Lose Heartbreaker 3-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Devils Shock Wolf Pack 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Falcons Come Up Short In Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Hold on For 5-4 Victory Over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- A Letter From The President - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Announce Schedule Change - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Return Home Thursday, Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce Schedule Change - Providence Bruins
- Ben Bishop Named WPC Player Of The Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Announce Details Of Taco Bell Night At The Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Knighthawks Announce Three-Year Marketing Partnership With Seneca Gaming Corporation - Rochester Americans
- Martinez Gets The Call From LA - Manchester Monarchs
- 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic To Be Televised To More Than 100 Million Households - AHL
- Griffins Alum Brian Lashoff Wins Gold With Team USA At World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Recall Forward Keegan Dansereau From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team To Host First Tournament This Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Minnesota Wild Recalls LW Robbie Earl - Houston Aeros
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Daniel Tkaczuk To PTO - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits -- 1/6/10 - AHL
- LaCouture Released By P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Sharp To San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- River Rats Sign Albany Native Marc Cavosie To PTO - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Sign Two Players To Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Welcome Rampage For Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weiman's Strong Performance Not Enough In Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.