Phantoms Earn Come-From-Behind Overtime Win
Albany, NY- Phantoms forward Stefan Legein netted the game-winner at 4:05 of overtime as the Adirondack Phantoms beat the Albany River Rats 4-3 Wednesday night at the Times Union Center.
Albany led 3-2 late in the contest, but David Laliberte slipped a close range rebound under River Rats goalie Justin Peters with 1:07 remaining to knot the game. The tally was initially waved-off, as the referee ruled that the whistle had already sounded, but the official allowed the tying goal after a lengthy meeting with his two linesmen.
Albany dominated the ensuing sudden-death session and out-shot the Phantoms 5-1, but Adirondack's loan shot spelled the River Rats second straight loss as Legein's rap-around effort beat goaltender Justin Peters. Albany's lead in the 12-game Time Warner Cup series stands at 5-2.
The River Rats connected on a pair of first period power play markers from Chris Terry and Nick Dodge to take an early two-goal lead, but Adirondack cut its deficit to one in the second period on Marc-Andre Bordon's first professional goal at 14:27 on the power play. Phantoms leading scorer Jon Matsumoto tied the game at 2-2 with a short-side blast just 52 seconds into the third period, but Albany quickly reclaimed it's one goal lead on Mike Angelidis' sixth of the year, set up nicely by Marc Covosie in the Albany, New York, native's River Rats season debut.
Terry netted the game's first goal at 10:35 of the opening frame on a 5-on-3 River Rats advantage, burying a rebound for his ninth of the season. Albany doubled up at 13:04 on a 5-on-4 power play, when Jerome Samson's shot rebounded to Terry, who slid a behind-the-back pass to Nick Dodge for an open put-away.
Adirondack goaltender Johan Backlund turned-aside 25-of-28 shots for the win as the Phantoms improved to 17-16-2-0 this season. Peters stopped 30-of-34 shots faced in the game and took he loss as the River Rats fell to 19-16-1-2 this year. Adirondack out-shot Albany 34-28 in the game and went 1-for-6 on the power play, while the River Rats went 2-for-5 on the man-advantage.
The River Rats welcome a pair of Atlantic Division clubs to the Times Union Center
this weekend, beginning on Friday with a 7:00 p.m. faceoff against the
division-leading Manchester Monarchs. Albany then hosts the Hartford WolfPack on
Saturday at 7:00 p.m. River Rats 2009-10 pro-rated season and flexible ticket
packages are now on sale at the River Rats executive offices at the Times Union
Center, by calling (518) 487-2244 (518) 487-2244 or by logging onto
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 6, 2010
- Texas Stars Come From Behind In 3-2 OT Win Over Houston Aeros - Houston Aeros
- Vishnevskiy Leads Stars Past Aeros 3-2 In Overtime - Texas Stars
- Bulldogs Tame Wolves With 3-1 Victory - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Legein Lifts Phantoms To 4-3 OT Win In Albany - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Rally Falls Short In 3-2 Loss To San Antonio - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Monarchs Hit The Marc, Win 2-1 - Manchester Monarchs
- Rampage Holds On To Early Lead For 3-2 Victory - San Antonio Rampage
- Phantoms Earn Come-From-Behind Overtime Win - Albany River Rats
- Wolves Lose Dogfight 3-1 - Chicago Wolves
- Wolf Pack Lose Heartbreaker 3-2 - Connecticut Whale
- Devils Shock Wolf Pack 3-2 - Albany Devils
- Falcons Come Up Short In Manchester - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Hold on For 5-4 Victory Over Penguins - Norfolk Admirals
- A Letter From The President - Manchester Monarchs
- Falcons Announce Schedule Change - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals Return Home Thursday, Saturday - Milwaukee Admirals
- P-Bruins Announce Schedule Change - Providence Bruins
- Ben Bishop Named WPC Player Of The Month - Peoria Rivermen
- Crunch Announce Details Of Taco Bell Night At The Crunch - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks, Knighthawks Announce Three-Year Marketing Partnership With Seneca Gaming Corporation - Rochester Americans
- Martinez Gets The Call From LA - Manchester Monarchs
- 2010 Time Warner Cable AHL All-Star Classic To Be Televised To More Than 100 Million Households - AHL
- Griffins Alum Brian Lashoff Wins Gold With Team USA At World Junior Championship - Grand Rapids Griffins
- B-Sens Recall Forward Keegan Dansereau From Elmira - Binghamton Senators
- Rampage Sled Hockey Team To Host First Tournament This Weekend - San Antonio Rampage
- Minnesota Wild Recalls LW Robbie Earl - Houston Aeros
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Daniel Tkaczuk To PTO - Connecticut Whale
- AHL Quick Hits -- 1/6/10 - AHL
- LaCouture Released By P-Bruins - Providence Bruins
- Anaheim Ducks Reassign Sharp To San Antonio - San Antonio Rampage
- River Rats Sign Albany Native Marc Cavosie To PTO - Albany River Rats
- Admirals Sign Two Players To Tryout Contracts - Norfolk Admirals
- Griffins Welcome Rampage For Winning Wednesday - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Weiman's Strong Performance Not Enough In Shootout Loss - Cleveland Monsters
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.