Rampage Cap Road Trip with Loss to Griffins
GRAND RAPIDS, MI - Tyler Wotherspoon notched a goal and an assist for his first multipoint game of the season but it wasn't enough, as the Grand Rapids Griffins (14-7-2) earned their sixth straight victory with a 4-2 win over the San Antonio Rampage (9-15-1) on Wednesday night at Van Andel Arena.
Filip Hronek had a goal and an assist for Grand Rapids and Chris Terry netted his 15th goal of the season to move into a tie for the league lead.
Hronek opened the scoring at 4:36 of the second period after a fortunate bounce. Moments after Rampage goaltender Ville Husso had lost his stick, Hronek took a pass in the high slot and wired a shot that Husso kicked away with the right pad. The rebound hit Rampage defenseman Niko Mikkola in the back and bounced back into the net, Hronek's fifth goal of the season extending his points streak to six games.
At 11:43 of the second period, San Antonio drew even with Nolan Stevens' second goal of the season. Nikita Soshnikov chased the puck to the left-wing corner and found Stevens in the slot for a quick shot past Griffins goaltender Patrik Rybar to tie the game 1-1.
Terry put the Griffins back in front off of an offensive zone face-off at 18:06 of the second. A left-point shot from Libor Sulak was blocked in the slot, but Terry found the bouncing puck with a backhand chop that went off the post and in. Terry has four goals and eight points during a six-game points streak.
The Griffins extended their lead at 1:50 of the third period when a point shot from Hronek was redirected past Husso by Axel Holmstrom for his sixth goal of the season to make it 3-1. Wotherspoon brought the Rampage back within a goal with his second tally of the year, a shot from the top of the left circle that beat Rybar over the glove at 15:43.
Wotherspoon has two goals and five points over the last six games.
The Rampage pulled Husso for an extra skater with just over two minutes remaining, but Klim Kostin took a slashing penalty in the final minute. Colin Campbell would net his third goal of the season on the ensuing power play at 19:31 of the third period to cement a 4-2 Griffins win.
The Rampage collected three of an available eight points on their four-game road trip.
The Rampage return home to the AT&T Center on Saturday night to face the Milwaukee Admirals. Saturday is the 14th annual Teddy Bear Toss, presented by HEB. Fans are encouraged to bring new or gently used stuffed toys to the game and throw them on the ice after the Rampage score their first goal. The toys will be collected and donated to local children in need this holiday season.
Puck-drop is scheduled for 7 p.m. with the game available on The Ticket 760AM and on AHLTV. For information, visit sarampage.com/teddybear.
Goals: Stevens (2); Wotherspoon (2)
Ville Husso: 17 saves on 21 shots
Power Play: 0-for-1
Penalty Kill: 1-for-2
1. Filip Hronek - GR
2. Patrik Rybar - GR
3. Tyler Wotherspoon - SA
Images from this story
Chris Thorburn of the San Antonio Rampage looks for a rebound in front of Grand Rapids Griffins goaltender Patrik Rybar
(Grand Rapids Griffins)
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2018
- Meet Santa Next Sunday (December 16) at the IceHogs Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Terrence Wallin, Alex Kile Summoned from Maine Mariners, Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Oilers Recall Marody and Assign Russell - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Recall Ciampini from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- McKenna Savouring His Time in the NHL - Belleville Senators
- 'Canes Recall Maenalanen from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- T-Birds Begin 3-In-3 Weekend in Utica Friday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Otto Somppi to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Shop and Skate with the Condors Wednesday, December 12 - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Nolan Valleau to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers, SONC to Host Polar Plunge on January 19 - Charlotte Checkers
- Brian Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Capture 5-2 Win, Continue San Diego Dominance - Tucson Roadrunners
- Shaw's Effort Not Enough in Moose Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Gulls Fall to Tucson, 5-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Marody Dishes a Condors 4-3 Win over Manitoba - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Hold off Comets for 5-2 Win - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Falters against Chicago in 4-3 OT Loss - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Halt Rampage for Sixth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hague Caps Wolves' Rally with Overtime Winner - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Cap Road Trip with Loss to Griffins - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.