Gulls Fall to Tucson, 5-2
*San Diego fell to the Tucson Roadrunners in a 5-2 defeat tonight at San Diego Sports Arena.
Corey Tropp became the first San Diego Gull to reach the 50-goal mark with his seventh tally of the season on the power play at 9:15 of the first period. Tropp leads San Diego in all-time scoring (50-76=126), goals, assists and power-play goals (26) and ranks second in games played (145).
Troy Terry recorded his fifth multi-point game with two assists (0-2=2) to take the team lead in scoring (8-11=19). Terry also co-leads San Diego in assists with Tropp.
Chase De Leo also tallied two assists for his second straight multi-point game and fifth of the season. De Leo has four points the last two games (1-3=4) and 1-5=6 points his last six contests.
Kalle Kossila scored his fourth goal of 2018-19 at 10:11 of the third period. The goal marked his eighth point (4-4=8) in his eight game with San Diego this season.
Kevin Boyle stopped 19 shots in the defeat.
San Diego will embark on their first trip to the state of Colorado to visit the Colorado Eagles in a back-to-back matchup at Budweiser Events Center on Friday, Dec. 7 (6:05 p.m. PT) and Saturday, Dec. 8 (6:05 p.m. PT).
San Diego Gulls
On the game
It's definitely frustrating. Tonight felt like we controlled the majority of the game, but that doesn't matter when you lose so it's definitely something we need to figure out.
On missed chances
We were working hard, things were going our way. We controlled most of the game, just little things that happened throughout it cost us.
On the standings
It's too soon, we have to worry about what's going on with us. We have to play one shift at a time, one game at a time. That will take care of itself.
Head Coach Dallas Eakins
On the game
I was pretty enthused getting through the first period. I thought we were playing a really well-structured game and in the first five minutes of the second, same thing. We weren't hard enough on the wall around the 15-minute mark of the second and then is just kind of rolled on us. We got our legs back underneath us and I thought we did some good things in the game, but it was a couple of mental mistakes that we weren't able to recover from. They put it in our net and the times when they made a mistake, we weren't able to capitalize. It's as simple as that.
On the team's defensive play
Everybody has to pull their weight. The thing you always have to remember is saving a goal has the exact same effect on the scoreboard as scoring one. We have to be desperate. I understand with a development team there is going to be mistakes. That's what we're here for, is to teach. It's hard to wrap your head around, when you can play a first period like that and be so solid, and suddenly it just all falls apart.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from December 6, 2018
- Meet Santa Next Sunday (December 16) at the IceHogs Game - Rockford IceHogs
- Terrence Wallin, Alex Kile Summoned from Maine Mariners, Rangers Recall Matt Beleskey - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Oilers Recall Marody and Assign Russell - Bakersfield Condors
- Senators Recall Ciampini from Brampton - Belleville Senators
- McKenna Savouring His Time in the NHL - Belleville Senators
- 'Canes Recall Maenalanen from Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Ontario Reign Announce Roster Moves - Ontario Reign
- T-Birds Begin 3-In-3 Weekend in Utica Friday - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Tampa Bay Lightning Reassign Forward Otto Somppi to Orlando Solar Bears - Syracuse Crunch
- Jets Reassign Nelson Nogier to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- Shop and Skate with the Condors Wednesday, December 12 - Bakersfield Condors
- Syracuse Crunch Sign Defenseman Nolan Valleau to AHL Contract - Syracuse Crunch
- Checkers, SONC to Host Polar Plunge on January 19 - Charlotte Checkers
- Brian Lashoff Recalled by Detroit - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Blue Jackets Recall Defenseman Gabriel Carlsson from Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Roadrunners Capture 5-2 Win, Continue San Diego Dominance - Tucson Roadrunners
- Shaw's Effort Not Enough in Moose Loss - Manitoba Moose
- Gulls Fall to Tucson, 5-2 - San Diego Gulls
- Marody Dishes a Condors 4-3 Win over Manitoba - Bakersfield Condors
- Amerks Hold off Comets for 5-2 Win - Rochester Americans
- Iowa Falters against Chicago in 4-3 OT Loss - Iowa Wild
- Griffins Halt Rampage for Sixth Straight Win - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Hague Caps Wolves' Rally with Overtime Winner - Chicago Wolves
- Rampage Cap Road Trip with Loss to Griffins - San Antonio Rampage
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.