Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake
Salt Lake City, UT - The Tacoma Rainiers struggled at Salt Lake again and dropped their series finale with the Bees 9-2 at Spring Mobile Ballpark on Monday night.
The Rainiers were held to just five hits en route to suffering a third consecutive defeat and a series loss to the Bees. Tacoma had won seven of their last 10 games prior to their recent skid.
Trailing 1-0 in the bottom of the fourth inning, Tacoma surrendered a solo home run to first baseman Efren Navarro with two outs to double their deficit.
Ryan Langerhans put the Rainiers back within in a run after homering in the fifth, but the Bees answered with three runs off two homers in the bottom of the inning to stretch their lead to 5-1. Cole Armstrong led off with a one-run shot and catcher Hank Conger hit a two-run blast with two outs.
The Bees blew the game open even further with four runs on five hits in the bottom of the eighth inning.
Salt Lake right-hander Matt Palmer (5-9) held Tacoma to one run on four hits with three walks and seven strikeouts over a six-inning start. Rainiers starter Jarrett Grube (1-3) was dealt the loss after allowing one run on four hits over six innings, with three walks and seven strikeouts.
The Rainiers (51-52) head back to Tacoma for an eight-game homestand that begins at 7:05 p.m. on Tuesday against Sacramento. Left-hander Luke French (7-6, 5.37) is scheduled to start for the Rainiers against River Cats left-hander Josh Outman (6-1, 3.83). The game will be broadcast live on South Sound Sports 850-AM and can be streamed online at www.tacomarainiers.com.
For season tickets, group or party deck information for the 2011 season, call (253) 752-7707, email email@example.com or visit our website at www.tacomarainiers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tacoma Rainiers Stories
- Daren Brown Returns to Lead Rainiers Field Staff in 2019
- Ashley Schutt Named Pacific Coast League Woman Executive of the Year
- 2018 Tacoma Rainiers Season Review
- Tacoma Rainiers and Seattle Mariners Announce Four-Year Extension of Player Development Contract
- Rainiers Wrap Season With 5-4 Victory Over Chihuahuas