PCL Names Players of the Week
July 25, 2011 - Pacific Coast League (PCL) News Release
ROUND ROCK, Texas - The Pacific Coast League has announced that Chris Aguila of the New Orleans Zephyrs and Frankie De La Cruz of the Nashville Sounds have been named PCL Player and Pitcher of the Week for the week of July 18-24.
Aguila, who bookended the week with a pair of multi-home run games, led the circuit in home runs with six while batting .517 (15-for-29) with 12 runs batted in. The 32-year-old also paced the PCL in extra-base hits (9), total bases (36), slugging percentage (1.241) and OPS (1.790) as well as tied for the lead in runs scored with 11.
The Zephyrs outfielder is batting .348 with a .449 on-base percentage and a .697 slugging percentage through 20 games in July, which are his best marks in the three categories for a single month so far this season. The California native is currently the team-leader in home runs with 17 while also tying for the lead in RBI (56) and runs scored (52).
De La Cruz fanned 15 and surrendered two runs over his two starts against the Iowa Cubs last week. The right-hander struck out 10 over 8.2 innings on July 23rd in Nashville, matching his career-high for strikeouts in a single game last set in 2007. De La Cruz retired 11 straight between the sixth and ninth innings of the winning decision on July 23rd before allowing his only run in the start during the ninth. In his other start for the week on July 18th at Iowa, De La Cruz struck out five and walked three over 4.1 innings.
The Dominican Republic native has made 20 starts in 22 games pitched this season, which is his first year with Nashville. De La Cruz has allowed only two runs over his last three starts, including a July 14th game in which he held Albuquerque to no runs and two hits over four innings.
The PCL awards are the second for both Aguila and De La Cruz in their careers as the two earned their previous awards during the 2008 season. De La Cruz was named Pitcher of the Week for the week of June 9-15 in 2008 while Aguila was given the Player of the Week honor for the week of May 26-June 1.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.