Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th
James Darnell's home run in the top of the 13th inning broke an extra inning tie and gave the Padres a 9-8 win at Cashman Field Sunday night. The Padres have now won two consecutive games after falling in the first game of the series against the 51s.
Guillermo Quiroz put the Padres up by three in the eighth with a three-run home run, his fifth home run of the season, and Tucson added another run in the top of the ninth when Aaron Cunningham doubled and later scored on an error by Las Vegas first baseman David Cooper. The Padres late lead wouldn't last long though, as the 51s sent nine batters to the plate in the bottom of the ninth, scoring four times to tie the game off Evan Scribner and Brad Brach. Neither side scored until the 13th when Darnell's home run led the Padres to their third extra inning win of the season in 11 tries.
Tucson starter Jeremy Hefner did not factor in the decision but pitched well, allowing four runs in seven innings. San Diego Padres pitcher Joe Thatcher pitched a scoreless inning without any baserunners, continuing his Major League rehab assignment with Tucson after undergoing shoulder surgery earlier this season. The Padres are now 49-52, in third place, 10.5 games behind first place Sacramento.
Next Game: Monday, 7:05 pm at Las Vegas - Tucson LHP Wade LeBlanc (9-1, 3.96) vs. Las Vegas RHP Jesse Litsch (0-2, 9.18)
Next Home Game: Tuesday, 7:00 pm vs. Colorado Springs at Kino Stadium. KRAFT Singles Two-for-Tuesday ticket special. Also, Arizona Daily Star Two-for-One ticket coupon, appearing in Monday's newspaper.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Tucson Padres Stories
- Triple-A Showdown at Kino Stadium from April 11 - 14
- Triple-A Baseball Returns to Tucson for Four More Days
- Feder To Receive Prestigious Presidential Citation At Baseball Winter Meetings Today
- Food Drive at Kino Stadium for Victims of Recent Mexico Weather Disasters
- Vamos a Tucson Mexican Baseball Fiesta Is Thursday Through Sunday