Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week
NASHVILLE, Tenn. - Nashville Sounds right-hander Frankie De La Cruz has been named the Pacific Coast League's Pitcher of the Week for the July 18-24 period.
In a pair of starts against division-rival Iowa, De La Cruz went 1-0 with a 1.38 ERA (2er/13.0ip) with 15 strikeouts in his 13.0 innings of work. He held opposing batters to a .217 average (10-for-46).
The highlight of his week was a dominant victory on Saturday at Greer Stadium against the I-Cubs that was the best pitching performance by a Sounds hurler all season.
In that outing, De La Cruz struck out a Sounds season-high 10 batters and finished one batter short of a complete-game shutout in Nashville's 4-1 triumph. He held Iowa to one run on six hits over 8 2/3 innings of work in the winning effort. The Cubs scored their lone run with two outs in the top of the ninth inning.
For the year, the 27-year-old De La Cruz has posted a 4-6 record and a 4.17 ERA (54er/116.2ip) in 22 games (20 starts) for the Sounds.
As a starting pitcher, he has held PCL batters to a .244 average, tied for the lowest mark in the league. In addition, he ranks 2nd in the circuit with 106 strikeouts, and ranks 7th in the PCL in ERA.
He is next scheduled to take the hill in a start on Thursday, when the Sounds play a 7:05 p.m. CT road contest at Oklahoma City (AAA-Astros).
De La Cruz's award is the first accumulated by a Sounds player in nearly two years. Pitcher Tim Dillard won Nashville's most recent weekly PCL award in 2009 following the July 20-26 period.
The award is the second PCL Pitcher of the Week honor of De La Cruz's career. He was previously honored for the June 9-15, 2008 period while playing for Albuquerque.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Nashville Sounds Stories
- Vanderbilt Baseball Returns to First Tennessee Park to Face Belmont and Lipscomb
- Sounds to Host Job Fairs at First Tennessee Park on January 30 and February 6
- Sounds Announce 2019 Coaching Staff
- Nashville Sounds Foundation Now Accepting Scholarships for 2019 Scholarship Program
- Texas Rangers and Nashville Sounds to Play Exhibition Game at First Tennessee Park