Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque
ALBUQUERQUE, NM - Mike Cervenak hammered a home run a single and a triple to lead the Zephyrs to a 9-5 win at Isotopes Park. The win gets the Zephyrs a split with the Isotopes.
New Orleans jumped on Isotopes starter Joey Newby scoring three runs in the third inning. Cervenak drove home a pair with a triple. Tim Torres and Jose Lopez each hit two run home runs in the fourth inning and Newby exited trailing 7-0.
Zephyr starter Tom Koehler pitched four no-hit innings before running into some trouble in the fifth inning. He hit Trayvon Robinson and walked Jamie Hoffman to put two on base with one out. The first hit he allowed in the game was a three run home run to AJ Ellis. The first pitch following the homer he threw behind the batter Justin Sellers and was ejected for the game. Koehler pitched 4.1 innings, allowed 3 runs on one hit and received a no decision. Isotopes outfielder Trayvon Robinson was also ejected.
The game calmed down and Darin Downs earned the win coming in relief and pitching 2.2 innings. The Isotopes added a pair of runs in the seventh and inched back into the game. The Topes loaded the bases against Pete Andrelczyk in the eighth inning. The Z's new closer Sandy Rosario retired the final five batters and earned his first Triple-A Save.
The Zephyrs wrapped up a 12 game road trip and went 6-6 on their longest trip of the season.
Game Notes -Zephyrs outfielder Chris Aguila was named PCL Hitter of the Week. He batted .517 (15x29) with 6 home runs and 12 RBI in seven games. He is the first Zephyr to win the award this season.
Coming Up: The Zephyrs return home to host Iowa at 7PM at Zephyr Field. The Zephyrs will start LH Sean West (4-6, 6.24) vs. RH Casey Coleman (3-2, 4.59) RADIO: WMTI 106.1 FM.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New Orleans Baby Cakes Stories
- Berti, Holaday Homers Help Baby Cakes Take Series from Cubs
- Cubs, 'Cakes Split Doubleheader
- 'Cakes Beat Omaha to Finish Trip
- Gallen Named PCL Pitcher of the Week
- Ten Runs Not Enough in Loss