Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week
Metairie, LA - New Orleans Zephyrs outfielder Chris Aguila was named the Pacific Coast League's Player of the Week for July 18-24, the league announced Monday.
Aguila, who bookended the week with a pair of multi-home run games, led the circuit in home runs with six while batting .517 (15-for-29) with 12 runs batted in. The 32-year-old also paced the PCL in extra-base hits (9), total bases (36), slugging percentage (1.241) and OPS (1.790) as well as tied for the lead in runs scored with 11.
The 15-year pro veteran is batting .348 with a .449 on-base percentage and a .697 slugging percentage through 20 games in July, which are his best marks in the three categories for a single month so far this season. Aguila is currently the team-leader in home runs with 17 while also tying for the lead in RBI (56) and runs scored (52), and with 48 home runs over parts of three seasons in New Orleans, is closing in on J.R. Phillips's career franchise record of 56 home runs.
The honor is the second of Aguila's career; he was also PCL Player of the Week in June 2008 during his first stint with the Zephyrs. He is the first Zephyr to be named Player of the Week since Michael Ryan in April 2009.
Nashville Sounds right-hander Frankie De La Cruz was named the PCL Pitcher of the Week.
The Zephyrs open an eight-game homestand at Zephyr Field on Tuesday night by hosting the Iowa Cubs at 7:00 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from July 25, 2011
- Aces Drop Finale In Sacramento - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Shut Down at Salt Lake - Tacoma Rainiers
- RedHawks Complete Sweep with 8-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Nashville Wins 8-3 Over Cubs In Finale - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Top 'Topes, 9-5 - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Aces Host Las Vegas for Conclusion of Silver State Diamond Challenge - Reno Aces
- Round Rock Continues Hit Parade in Win - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Zephyrs Earn Split in Albuquerque - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Round Rock Express Storm Past Omaha 9-2 - Round Rock Express
- Aguila Named PCL Player of the Week - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- PCL Names Players of the Week - PCL
- Round Rock Express - Series Preview Vs. Memphis Redbirds - Round Rock Express
- Sounds' De La Cruz Named PCL Pitcher of the Week - Nashville Sounds
- Tucson Padres Return Home Tuesday - Tucson Padres
- RedHawks Game Notes - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes at Omaha Storm Chasers - Round Rock Express
- Tucson Blows Lead, Wins with Homer in 13th - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.