RailRiders hit three home runs in win over IronPigs
(Moosic, Pa) - The Lehigh Valley IronPigs (27-24) have lost three games in a row as the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders won 7-4 on Saturday afternoon. The IronRail Series is now all even at 4-4.
The IronPigs jumped out of the gate with a 1-0 lead as Lane Adams hit a lead-off home run off Drew Hutchison (4-3) in the top of the first inning. Hutchison gave up two more singles in the inning but completed the inning without allowing another run.
Logan Morrison tied the game at 1-1 off Drew Anderson (0-5) in the bottom of the third inning by hitting a solo home run. The RailRiders took a 2-1 lead as Brad Miller scored on a double-play groundball hit by Mike Ford.
Billy Burns and Ford hit back-to-back home runs off Anderson in the bottom of the fifth inning to extend Scranton/Wilkes-Barre's lead to 4-1. Anderson left the game after six innings, in which he allowed four runs off six hits and two walks with six strikeouts. Hutchison also turned in a six-inning outing. He struck out seven batters while giving up just three hits with two walks issued.
The RailRiders scored two more runs in the bottom of the seventh inning to take a 6-1 lead. DiDi Gregorius hit an RBI single off Tom Windle, while Mike Tauchman added a sacrifice fly. Windle pitched just one inning as he allowed two runs off two hits with two walks and one strikeout. Miller hit an RBI double off Josh Martin in the bottom of the eighth inning to extend the RailRiders lead to 7-1.
The Pigs put a late push together in the top of the ninth inning as they scored three runs off Rex Brothers to cut the RailRiders lead to 7-4. Ali Castillo scored on a wild pitch and Damek Tomscha and Malquin Canelo hit back-to-back RBI doubles.
Stephen Tarpley recorded the final two outs of the game to earn his second save of the season.
The Pigs and RailRiders wrap up their series on Sunday afternoon at PNC Field. First pitch is at 1:05 p.m.
The 2019 IronPigs season is the team's 12th as the top affiliate for the Philadelphia Phillies and 12th at Coca-Cola Park. Follow the IronPigs on Twitter at @IronPigs and like them on Facebook via www.facebook.com/LHVIronPigs.
The 2019 IronPigs season is presented by Capital BlueCross.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from June 1, 2019
- Stripers Edge Indians 7-6 in 10 Innings - Gwinnett Stripers
- Red Wings Rally in 7th Inning to Defeat Bisons, 7-2; - Buffalo Bisons
- Indians Rally Late But Fall in 10 Innings, 7-6 - Indianapolis Indians
- Gutierrez and Longhi Star in Bats Loss to Norfolk, 8-7 - Louisville Bats
- Wings Beat Bisons for Second Straight Night - Rochester Red Wings
- Mud Hens-Knights Rained out Saturday - Toledo Mud Hens
- Mets Fall Short of Red Sox, 4-2, on Saturday - Syracuse Mets
- Bulls, Clippers Split Doubleheader - Durham Bulls
- Early Offense Pushes PawSox Past Mets - Pawtucket Red Sox
- RailRiders win season-best sixth consecutive game at PNC Field - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Craig Honored as Indy's May Player of the Month - Indianapolis Indians
- RailRiders hit three home runs in win over IronPigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (31-20) vs. Gwinnett Stripers (31-23) - Indianapolis Indians
- Tides to Offer Free Tickets to Area First Responders and City of Virginia Beach Employees - Norfolk Tides
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- SWB Red Barons Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Louisville Bats Notes - Louisville Bats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lehigh Valley IronPigs Stories
- #HopeningDay to Feature Virtual Baseball Telecast
- 'All Abilities' Night Features Sign Language Jersey Auction
- Pig Day Celebration to be Held Friday, March 6
- IronPigs Release Full Promotional Calendar for the 2020 Season
- 2020 Bobblehead Lineup, Jersey Auction Dates Announced