Rafters Get First Win against Chinooks, Split Series
WISCONSIN RAPIDS, WI - The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters (12-10) won their first game on the season against the Lakeshore Chinooks (11-11), 6-3.
Lakeshore tacked on the first run of the game in the first with a flyball that landed in front of home plate and scored a runner from third. Rafters' starter Ben Vespi (Central Florida) allowed only one baserunner in the next three innings.
The Rafters, who scored only one run in the first three games played this year against the Chinooks, plated five in the second inning. The Rafters started the inning, with two singles and a walk.
Elijah Dickerson (La Salle) was the third Rafter to take four balls and the score was knotted up at one. Reeve Holley (Cal Baptist) hit a fielder's choice to bring home the second run. With the bases loaded and two outs, Marco Castillo (Claremont McKenna) stepped up to the plate. He blasted one down the right-field line to clear the bases, Castillo advanced all the way to third and was pumped to break an 0-13 drought.
"It felt great! I got to third and let it all out," said Castillo.
In the fifth, Lakeshore added a run to bring the score to 5-2, Vespi went six innings total and finished with nine total strikeouts, including two in the sixth.
Andrew Duran (New Orleans) came on in the seventh, after allowing an RBI double, he got a strikeout and groundout.
Nick Torres (Long Island) finished the last two innings, Lakeshore got only three base runners against the right hander.
The Wisconsin Rapids Rafters play a road doubleheader against the Green Bay Booyah, with first pitch of the first game at 12:05, the second game at 6:35. The game can be heard on WFHR AM 1320.
• Discuss this story on the Northwoods League message board...
Northwoods League Stories from June 22, 2021
- Another One Run Loss against Kalamazoo - Battle Creek Bombers
- Honkers Sweep Series on Walk-Off Walk - Rochester Honkers
- Booyah Drops Twin Bill in Wausau - Green Bay Booyah
- Chinooks fall to Wisconsin Rapids 6-3 on road - Lakeshore Chinooks
- Rivets' 7 Run Comeback Bid Falls Short in the 9th against Kokomo - Rockford Rivets
- Rafters Get First Win against Chinooks, Split Series - Wisconsin Rapids Rafters
- Puppies Stuck in Mud, Larks Collect Sweep of Tuesday Doubleheader - Bismarck Larks
- Battery Lifts Kingfish over Pit Spitters - Kenosha Kingfish
- Woodchucks Beat Booyah for Second Time Tuesday - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Shutout Fond du Lac to Pick up Ninth Win - Madison Mallards
- Pit Spitters End Home Stand with Loss to Kingfish - Traverse City Pit Spitters
- Mallards & Meriter to Host Milwaukee Bears Negro League Tribute Night with Vaccination Clinic - Madison Mallards
- Woodchucks Finish June 8 Suspended Game, Collect Win - Wisconsin Woodchucks
- Mallards Host Fond du Lac Looking to Salvage Win in Series Finale - Madison Mallards
- Booyah Looks to Get Back on Track - Green Bay Booyah
- Loggers Drop Series Opener to Saint Cloud, 4-1 - La Crosse Loggers
- Rivets Overcome Early Deficit, End Losing Streak in Grand Fashion - Rockford Rivets
- Stingers Bounce Back with 2-0 Win over Mankato - Willmar Stingers
- Growlers Bullpen Holds Strong in Fourth Straight Victory - Kalamazoo Growlers
- Mallards Lose a Close Battle against the Dock Spiders - Madison Mallards
- Honkers' Bullpen Holds off Huskies - Duluth Huskies
- Bombers Push Back But Fall Just Short of the Victory - Battle Creek Bombers
- Honkers Stop Slide in Opener with Duluth - Rochester Honkers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.