Rabbits Erase Third Period Deficit, Drop Late 5-4 Decision to Allen
GREENVILLE, S.C. - The Greenville Swamp Rabbits rallied back from down 3-1 in the third period, but dropped a tight 5-4 decision to the Allen Americans on Friday night at Bon Secours Wellness Arena.
In the opening period, the Americans struck first as a Greenville power play expired at and Samuel Laberge was freed from the sin-bin. At 7:54, Laberge fielded a headman breakaway pass from Josh Lammon and scored low on Jacob Ingham.
The Swamp Rabbits tied the contest at 11:22 courtesy of Liam Pecararo's third goal of the season. Pecararo split the defense and ripped a shot past Americans Goaltender Justin Kapelmaster to even the score at 1-1. Shots after the first 20 minutes were 8-7 in favor of the Americans
In the second stanza, Allen regained the lead with a Krystof Hrabik power play tally at the 11:11 mark. Hrabik one-timed a Joseph Garreffa feed between the circles to provide Allen a 2-1 lead.
With 24.1 seconds remaining in the period, the Americans doubled their margin with Laberge's second goal of the night and fifth of the campaign.
Down 3-1 in the third period, Greenville utilized an early power play chance to cut their deficit to 3-2. From the right circle, Patrick Bajkov sniped his fifth goal of the campaign at the 1:10 mark to bring the Rabbits closer.
Only 3:10 later, the Swamp Rabbits tied the affair at 3-3 courtesy of Karch Bachman's sixth goal of the season. Bachman raced along the right wing and fired a quick wrist shot to tie the game.
Allen regained the lead at the 12:23 mark on a transition play. After a Kyle Topping shot was blocked, the puck bounced to Scott Conway's tape. Conway scored low to the ice his second goal of the season to provide Allen a 4-3 advantage.
Corey Mackin scored a key insurance marker for the Americans which later stood as the game-winning goal at 16:08. Mackin finished a 2-on-1 rush with Josh Lammon to push Allen's lead to 5-3.
With the Greenville's net empty in favor of the extra attacker and 6-on-5 advantage, Greg Meireles scored from a sharp angle at 18:40 to bring his team within 5-4. After the ensuing face-off, Ingham raced back to the bench for the extra attacker, but the Rabbits ran out of time from potting another equalizer and erasing their second two-goal deficit of the night.
Final shots on goal totaled 35-28 after Greenville out shot Allen by a 21-5 margin in the final period. Greenville finished 1-for-4 on the power play and 2-for-3 on the kill.
Both teams will rematch tomorrow night in the rubber match of a three-game set at Bon Secours Wellness Arena. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. Ticket information is available online at swamprabbits.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2021
- Nine Lives for Blades as Win Streak Continues - Florida Everblades
- Rabbits Erase Third Period Deficit, Drop Late 5-4 Decision to Allen - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Fuel Rally to Beat Komets 3-2 in Overtime - Indy Fuel
- Rookies Make Game 2,000 Memorable for Nailers - Wheeling Nailers
- Americans End Losing Skid, Beat Greenville 5-4 - Allen Americans
- Wheeling Defeats Utah 5-2 - Utah Grizzlies
- Mavs Weekend Preview vs. Tulsa - Kansas City Mavericks
- Devante Stephens Recalled from Solar Bears - Orlando Solar Bears
- Ian McKinnon Earns AHL Call-Up with Providence - Jacksonville IceMen
- Veteran Forward Pelech Joins the Fuel - Indy Fuel
- ECHL Transactions - February 26 - ECHL
- Alex Dubeau Returns to South Carolina - South Carolina Stingrays
- Americans Gameday Preview: Allen at Greenville, 6:05 PM CST - Allen Americans
- Grizz Preview: Utah at Wheeling, February 26, 2021 - Utah Grizzlies
- Solar Bears Welcome Academy Sports + Outdoors as New Corporate Partner - Orlando Solar Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Americans, 7:05 PM - Greenville Swamp Rabbits
- Game Preview: Stingrays at Everblades, February 26 at 7:30 PM - South Carolina Stingrays
- Win Streak on the Line vs. Rays - Florida Everblades
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Greenville Swamp Rabbits Stories
- Ingham Notches First Professional Shutout in Win over Bears
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Solar Bears, 3:05 PM
- Greenville Blanked by Solar Bears 3-0 on Saturday Night
- Game Preview: Swamp Rabbits vs. Solar Bears, 7:05 PM
- Matthew Barnaby Signs with Greenville