Pitching Dominates in Commanding Win
Gary, IN - The Kansas City Monarchs (6-4) won their first road game of the season against the Gary SouthShore RailCats (3-7) Monday night, 7-0. The Monarchs pitching staff was lights out as they collected eighteen strikeouts and allowed one hit through nine innings of play.
In the second inning, Jan Hernandez laced a two-out single to left field but was able to advance to second after an error made by left fielder M.J. Rookard. Casey Gillaspie stepped up to the plate and singled to right field to score Hernandez from second base to give the Monarchs a 1-0 lead.
Nick Belzer had a dominant performance over the RailCats. He retired eight straight hitters from the second inning on until he nicked Jackson Smith with a pitch in the bottom of the fifth. He managed to pitch around this, striking out three hitters to preserve the Monarchs 1-0 lead entering the sixth. Belzer finished his night with an impressive line of eight strikeouts, one hit, and zero runs through five innings of work.
The Monarchs had a productive sixth inning, scoring five runs with RBI's from David Thompson, Pete Kozma, and Willie Abreu. The team finished their half with a commanding 6-0 lead over the RailCats.
The RailCats struggled offensively, collecting a mere one hit on the night. The team couldn't get any offense going, leaving seven runners on base in nine innings.
The Monarchs loaded the bases in the seventh. They were able to tack on one more run as Pete Kozma walked, which brought in Matt Adams to give the Monarchs a 7-0 lead.
Jacob Lindgren picked up where Belzer left off. After hitting Michael Woodworth in the sixth inning, he struck out five straight hitters and allowed no runs or hits through two innings.
In the ninth inning, Jameson McGrane struck out three batters to shut the door on the RailCats.
The Monarchs will face the RailCats in game two of the four-game series tomorrow morning (5/24) at 11:00 a.m. The game can be heard on the Monarchs Broadcast Network with the pre-game beginning at 10:35 a.m. and the video stream airing on aabaseball.tv.
Tickets to all Monarchs games can be purchased by calling 913-328-5618 or by visiting monarchsbaseball.com. Stay tuned to monarchsbaseball.com. and the Monarchs Facebook and Twitter pages for updates throughout the season.
WP: Nick Belzer (1-1)
LP: Adam Heidenfelder (1-1)
Images from this story
Nick Belzer delivers a pitch against the Gary SouthShore RailCats
• Discuss this story on the American Association message board...
American Association Stories from May 24, 2022
- DockHounds Walk-Off... AGAIN - Lake Country DockHounds
- DockHounds Tame Cougars in Extra Innings - Lake Country DockHounds
- Canaries Out-Hit Winnipeg but Come up Short Tuesday Night - Sioux Falls Canaries
- Pointstreak League Communication Message - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Martinez Shines Again as Goldeyes Even Series - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- RailCats Take Monarchs to School - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Monarchs Offense One Big Hit Away - Kansas City Monarchs
- Goldeyes Make Trade - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Nitro Circus Set to Explode Across North America with All-New Tour: Good, Bad & Rad Presented by a SHOC Energy - Kane County Cougars
- 'Dogs and Explorers Postponed - Lincoln Saltdogs
- X's and Saltdogs Postponed - Sioux City Explorers
- Monarchs Hand RailCats Game One Loss - Gary SouthShore Railcats
- Canaries Hold off Goldeyes in Slugfest - Winnipeg Goldeyes
- Pitching Dominates in Commanding Win - Kansas City Monarchs
- American Association Game Recaps - AA
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.