Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik
CHESTER, Pa. - Philadelphia Union today announced that the club has acquired goalkeeper Joe Bendik from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for a natural 2020 MLS SuperDraft second-round selection. Simultaneously, the Union announce that the club has returned on-loan goalkeeper Carlos Miguel Coronel to Austria's Red Bull Salzburg.
Bendik joins the Union immediately and has been added to the club's active roster ahead of tomorrow's match vs. Chicago (7:30 p.m. ET / PHL17).
"Red Bull Salzburg approached us, expressing interest in having Carlos back this summer, prior to the expiration of his loan agreement at the end of our season," said Ernst Tanner, Union Sporting Director. "We were happy to oblige as we have worked out a solution in acquiring Joe from Columbus. He is an MLS veteran who brings over seven years of experience in this league to our group. We look forward to integrating him quickly as we continue our push toward the MLS Cup Playoffs."
Bendik has appeared in 176 regular-season matches over his MLS career, which began in 2012 with Portland and has since seen the goalkeeper also ply his trade in Toronto and Orlando before spending the first part of this season in Columbus. This year, with Crew SC, he has started six matches, including each of the team's last four outings. He achieved a career-best seven clean sheets with Orlando in 2017, also making a single-season personal high of 118 saves that year.
Before coming to MLS, Bendik started his professional career in Norway, playing two years for Sogndal. He played collegiately for Clemson University.
Coronel appeared in four matches (three starts) for the Union, making nine saves and registering one shutout.
TRANSACTION: Philadelphia Union acquire goalkeeper Joe Bendik from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for a natural 2020 MLS SuperDraft second round selection on July 19, 2019. Simultaneously, the Union return on-loan goalkeeper Carlos Miguel Coronel to Red Bull Salzburg on July 19, 2019.
Name: Joe Bendik
Born: April 25, 1989 in Northport, New York
Hometown: Marietta, Georgia
Acquired: Philadelphia Union acquire goalkeeper Joe Bendik from Columbus Crew SC in exchange for a natural 2020 MLS SuperDraft second round selection on July 19, 2019
Previous Experience: Columbus Crew SC (2019), Orlando City SC (2016-2018), Toronto FC (2013-2015), Portland Timbers (2012), Sogndal Fotball (2010-2011)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Philadelphia Union Stories
- Union earn a point at home against LAFC
- Philadelphia Union Unveil Kick Childhood Cancer Initiative
- Ribbon Cutting Officially Launches Primepoint Club at Talen Energy Stadium
- Philadelphia Union Celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month
- Union win 10th home match of the season