Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing
HOUSTON - The team captains for the Houston Dynamo and Houston Dash will wear specially-designed armbands during their respective games Saturday to honor the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 moon landing, the club announced today.
Each team's captain will wear an armband that showcases the original Apollo 11 mission patch design. The mission patch featured an eagle, the national bird of the United States, carrying an olive branch, a universal symbol of peace, in its talons as it lands on the moon's surface. Surrounding the mission patch are the words, "Houston...the Eagle has landed," a nod to the fact that our city was the first word spoken from the moon.
In soccer, the captain's armband identifies which player is authorized to speak with the referee on behalf of his or her teammates during the game. Wearing or being given "the armband" is often a badge of honor for players and is frequently used to commemorate special events for players, clubs or communities.
The Dynamo play at Toronto FC on Saturday evening in a match scheduled for a 6:30 p.m. CDT kickoff. That match will be televised live throughout the Greater Houston area in English on KUBE 57 and in Spanish on TeleXitos 47.2. The team has been co-captained this season by defender DaMarcus Beasley and midfielder Boniek García. Beasley is the only American man to play in four FIFA World Cups, while García has appeared in two World Cups for Honduras and is the longest-tenured field player on the roster, having been with the club since 2012.
The Dash are on the road as well, playing just outside the nation's capital at the Washington Spirit. Their game is set for a 6 p.m. CDT kickoff on Saturday and will be streamed online via Yahoo! Sports. The Dash are led on the field by captains Kealia Ohai and Amber Brooks. Ohai was the first-ever draft pick by the Dash in 2014 and has earned three caps for the four-time world champion U.S. Women's National Team. Brooks joined the Dash in 2016 and has also played professionally in Germany and Australia. She has made one appearance for the U.S Women's National Team.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Second Half Surge Gives Dynamo 4-0 Preseason Win over Real Salt Lake in Tucson
- Houston Dynamo Open Visit Tucson Sun Cup with 1-1 Draw against New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Legend Ricardo Clark to Sign One-Day Contract with Club Wednesday
- Tickets on Sale Now for Dynamo vs Cruz Azul Match March 27
- Houston Dynamo Close Two-Game Road Trip to South Texas with 5-0 Victory over RGV FC