LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy announced today that the club has hired Juan Carlos Ortega as the LA Galaxy Director of Methodology and Development. Ortega joins the LA Galaxy after serving as the technical-tactical coordinator for the Mexican Football Federation and will oversee all LA Galaxy Academy decisions.
"We believe Juan Carlos will be a great addition to this club and the LA Galaxy Academy," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "Juan Carlos is knowledgeable and experienced, which shows in the success he has brought to the Mexican Football Federation and the prestigious clubs he has previously worked with. Juan Carlos also brings many important connections that he has cultivated throughout our region that will greatly support his work with the LA Galaxy."
Ortega has worked for the Mexican Football Federation (FMF) since 2009 in two roles, most recently serving as the tactical technical coordinator, where he oversaw the youth national teams. During his time with FMF, Ortega won a U-17 World Cup with Mexico and qualified for U-17 World Cups (2015, 2017) and U-20 World Cups (2015, 2017, 2019). Ortega also served as the head coach for the Mexican U-15 Youth National Team.
Prior to his time as the tactical technical coordinator for FMF, Ortega spent six years as an assistant coach at Chivas de Guadalajara from 2003 to 2009. He returned to Chivas in August 2013 as head coach before being appointed as the Director of Sporting Development for the club a few months later.
Born in Atotonilco el Alto, Mexico, Ortega played as a defender for various Mexican clubs during his time as a professional, including Tigres de la UANL, Club Léon, Correcaminos de la UAT and Club Deportivo Tapatio. He retired as a professional player in 2003 and began his work in front staff and technical staff positions soon after.
As part of his new role, Ortega has named Junior Gonzalez as interim Head Coach for LA Galaxy II. Subsequently, the LA Galaxy have parted ways with Mike Munoz, Laurent Courtois, Jamie Harvey and Andrew May.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season at Dignity Health Sports Park are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to secure Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Voted MLS Player of the Week
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 7, Sporting Kansas City 2 - Sunday, September 15, 2019
- Forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic Breaks LA Galaxy Single-Season Scoring Record
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 1, Colorado Rapids 2 - Wednesday, September 11, 2019
- LA Galaxy to Host Lakers Night September 15 During Match vs. Sporting Kansas City