Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar
COLUMBUS - Columbus Crew SC today announced that the club has signed midfielder Youness Mokhtar (pronounced: YOU-ness MOCK-tar). The midfielder most recently played for Stabaek of the Norwegian First Division and has made 170 First Division appearances across the Netherlands, Norway, Turkey and Saudi Arabia, while scoring 28 goals and providing 31 assists. Mokhtar will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot. Targeted Allocation Money was used in this transaction.
"We would like to welcome Youness Mokhtar to Columbus Crew SC. Youness is a creative and dynamic player who can add variety to our attack," said Crew SC President and General Manager Tim Bezbatchenko. "As a veteran, he brings years of proven European experience to our Club. We believe that his specific skillset will allow him to thrive in MLS."
A veteran of the game, Mokhtar has played for several clubs, including: Dutch Eredivisie sides PEC Zwolle, FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven; Stabaek of the Norwegian Eliteserien; MKE Ankaragucu of Turkey's Super Lig; and Al-Nassr FC of Saudi Arabia's Pro League. In addition to his experience playing in 170 First Division matches across Europe and the Middle East, Mokhtar has also played in the KNVB Cup, the Turkiye Kupasi and the Saudi Crown Prince Cup, making a combined 24 appearances while scoring eight goals and providing two assists. At the European level, the midfielder has also seen action in UEFA Europa League Qualifiers.
A product of the PSV Eindhoven Academy, Mokhtar was born in the Netherlands to Moroccan parents. At the youth level, he has featured for the Netherlands Under-17 and U-18 squads, as well as the Morocco U-20 and U-21 sides.
Up next for the Black & Gold is a home match against the Montreal Impact at MAPFRE Stadium tomorrow, Saturday, July 20 [7:30 p.m. ET / Fox Sports Ohio, FOX Sports GO (Stream) / 97.1 The Fan & 971TheFan.com (English); ColumbusCrewSC.com (Spanish)].
TRANSACTION: Columbus Crew SC signs free agent midfielder Youness Mokhtar on July 19, 2019. He will officially be added to the Black & Gold roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate and P-1 Visa and will occupy an international roster slot. Targeted Allocation Money was used in this transaction.
Name: Youness Mokhtar (YOU-ness MOCK-tar)
Born: August 29, 1991 in Utrecht, Netherlands
Hometown: Utrecht, Netherlands
Acquired: Signed by Crew SC on July 19, 2019
Previous Experience: Stabaek (2019), MKE Ankaragucu (2018-2019), PEC Zwolle (2016-2018), Al-Nassr FC (2015-2016), FC Twente (2013-2015), PEC Zwolle (2012-2013), PSV Eindhoven (2011-2012)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Vancouver Whitecaps FC Tomorrow
- MAPFRE Stadium to Host 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup Champion United States Women's National Team Friendly on November 7
- Columbus Crew SC to Break Ground for New Stadium on October 10 in Open-To-The-Public Ceremony
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Travels to Face Atlanta United Tomorrow Night
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Chicago Fire at MAPFRE Stadium Tomorrow