Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United
ATLANTA - Atlanta United returns to action Sunday when it hosts D.C. United at Mercedes-Benz Stadium. Kickoff is set for 4 p.m. ET and the match will be nationally broadcast on ESPN. For all statistics and media information, please visit our Media Resources page and game notes.
D.C. United enters the match in second place in the Eastern Conference while Atlanta sits in third, trailing D.C. by two points with a game in hand. This will be the eighth meeting all-time between the clubs and the second of the year, as D.C. defeated Atlanta 2-0 on the opening day of the 2019 MLS season. Atlanta holds a 2-1-0 record at home with both wins coming at Mercedes-Benz Stadium where Atlanta is 7-1-3 in 2019 and riding an eight-game unbeaten streak.
Atlanta is coming off a 5-0 win against Houston Dynamo on July 17 with goals scored by Darlington Nagbe, Brandon Vazquez, Julian Gressel and Josef Martinez, who recorded his 17th career multi-goal performance. Brad Guzan kept his league-high ninth shutout, one more than D.C. United's Bill Hamid.
Martinez has scored in six consecutive league matches and seven consecutive matches in all competitions. Martinez now has 10 goals in his last six MLS matches and his 15 goals are second-most in MLS. The Venezuelan striker has scored against every current MLS team and has scored the most goals by any player in their first three MLS seasons (65 goals) after passing David Villa Wednesday. He is three goals off of Bradley Wright-Phillips mark of 68 goals for the most during any three-year span in league history. Martinez also maintains the league's best goals per 90 minutes mark of all-time (.97) and leads Atlanta with four career goals versus D.C. United.
D.C. United travels to Atlanta for its second away match in four days after beating FC Cincinnati 4-1 Thursday with a brace from Lucas Rodriguez and goals from Paul Arriola and Wayne Rooney, who leads D.C. with 11 goals and seven assists this season.
Sunday, July 21 | Mercedes-Benz Stadium, Atlanta, GA |4 p.m. (EST)
Atlanta United (10-8-3, 33 points) vs. D.C. United (9-5-8, 35 points)
English TV | ESPN
Spanish Radio | La Mejor 1600 AM
English Radio | 92-9 The Game
3 p.m.: AT&T Countdown to Kickoff (FB Live/Periscope)
3:30 p.m.: The Pre-Game show (92-9 The Game)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Atlanta United FC Stories
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. FC Cincinnati
- Atlanta United Falls to Columbus 3-1
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Columbus Crew SC
- Josef Martinez Voted MLS Player of the Month Presented by EA SPORTS
- Academy Coach Steven Covino Named 1 of 20 MLS Youth Academy Coaches to Take Part in World-Class Training Program