Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily
SEATTLE, WASH. - As Sounders FC prepares to take on the Portland Timbers this Sunday (6:30 p.m. PT / FS1, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM), the team wishes to remind fans to arrive early to take advantage of the many activities taking place leading up to kickoff. In addition to celebrating the sport of soccer in Seattle through a bevy of pre-match festivities, Sounders FC has a chance to clinch the 2019 Cascadia Cup with a win over archrival Portland.
Seattle aims to clinch the 2019 Cascadia Cup on Sunday in a nationally televised match against rival Portland Timbers at CenturyLink Field (Seattle Sounders FC).
Pre-match festivities include an on-field recognition of Reign FC and 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup veterans Rosie White (New Zealand), Rebecca Quinn (Canada), Steph Catley (Australia), Celia Jimenez Delgado (Spain), Rumi Utsugi (Japan) and Jodie Taylor (England).
University of Washington women's soccer coaches Lesle Gallimore and Amy Griffin will be receiving Golden Scarves before the match. Leading the Huskies for over 25 seasons, 2019 will be the last season at Montlake for Head Coach Gallimore and Associate Head Coach Griffin. The pair have led UW to 14 NCAA Tournament berths, a pair of Elite Eight Appearances and a number of conference and national accolades.
Starting at 5:40 p.m. PT in the North Plaza, indie pop band illuminati hotties takes over the Summer Music Stage presented by Zulily, providing a free concert for ticketed fans. During the concert, located at the North Plaza, fans grab Elysian's newest Sounders FC beer, Dominance Pale Ale for $7.
As the matchday sponsor, Zulily is also giving out 40,000 co-branded flags to fans at their seats. Fans will be prompted to wave their flags after the Starting XI announcement and after any Sounders FC goals scored.
Additionally, earlier on Sunday morning, the Sounders FC Special Olympics Unified Exchange team, who were officially signed to the Sounders FC family last month, take on the Portland Timbers Special Olympics Unified Exchange team at CenturyLink Field.
Ahead of the Exchange match, fans can send the team positive messages of support and encouragement via social media channels using the hashtag #GoodLuckSOWA. At halftime of the MLS match, both the Sounders FC and Timbers exchange teams will be recognized on field and compete side-by-side in the CenturyLink Crossbar Challenge.
The Special Olympics Unified Exchanges matches are a special tradition for both Sounders FC and the Timbers, as the two rivals became the first MLS teams to ever host such a match with the first of the series in 2010. The tradition has continued in each subsequent season, with two Special Olympics Unified Exchange matches played every year: one in Portland and one in Seattle. Now, every U.S.-based MLS club hosts or travels to play at least one Special Olympics Unified Exchange match each season.
Sounders FC has supported Special Olympics programming since the club's MLS inception in 2009. The partnership furthers the team's commitment to being a leader in equality and inclusion in sport.
Timbers" branded scarves throughout the stadium. Additionally, fans can access a "Greater Green" face filter on Snap Chat and Facebook.
Prior to the match at The NINETY, Sounders FC Esports gamer Nick "MarsBars" Mars will be challenging fans in The NINETY. The club is also giving away a Román Torres game-worn Parley kit.
Following Sunday's match, Sounders FC hits the road next Saturday, July 27 for a matchup with the Houston Dynamo at BBVA Stadium (5:00 p.m. PT / JOEtv, YouTube TV, 950 KJR AM, El Rey 1360 AM).
Images from this story
CenturyLink Field, home of Seattle Sounders FC
(Seattle Sounders FC)
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 19, 2019
- MLS Disciplinary Committee Decisions Announced - MLS
- Sounders FC Encourages Fans to Arrive Early to Sunday's Match against Portland, Enjoy Free Summer Music Stage Concert Presented by Zulily - Seattle Sounders FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Real Salt Lake Preview - Minnesota United FC
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- Match Preview: Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow at Mapfre Stadium - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Visits Columbus Crew SC Saturday Night - Montreal Impact
- Houston Dynamo & Dash Captains to Wear Apollo 11 Mission Patch on Anniversary of Moon Landing - Houston Dynamo
- Eight Players from the Impact Academy at Canada U17 Camp in Montreal - Montreal Impact
- Game Preview: New England Revolution at FC Cincinnati - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: 5Things You Need to Know About the Match - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Name Juan Carlos Ortega Director of Methodology and Development - LA Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Faces Crucial Match on Saturday against Minnesota United FC - Real Salt Lake
- Columbus Crew SC Acquires Assets in Trade with the Philadelphia Union - Columbus Crew SC
- Philadelphia Union Acquire Goalkeeper Joe Bendik - Philadelphia Union
- Columbus Crew SC Signs Midfielder Youness Mokhtar - Columbus Crew SC
- Timbers, Orlando City SC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park - Portland Timbers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Wins 2019 Cascadia Cup with 2-1 Win over Portland Timbers at Providence Park
- Game Notes: Sounders FC at Portland Timbers - August 23, 2019
- Sounders FC Acquires International Roster Slot from Vancouver
- Peter Tomozawa Joins Sounders FC as Owner and President of Business Operations
- Sounders FC Earns Road Point in 2-2 Decision at LA Galaxy