Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton
BINGHAMTON, N.Y. - Jean-Gabriel Pageau picked up the hat trick as the Binghamton Senators jumped out to a 5-0 lead after 26:46 of play, then saw his team hold off the Penguins, 5-4, on Friday night.
With the win the Senators (43-24-3-5, 94 points) laid claim to the East Division title and third place in the Eastern Conference playoff standings. The Penguins (42-25-3-5, 92 points) can finish no higher than fifth place in the conference, which will be decided on Saturday when they face the Utica Comets at 7:00pm.
The home team wasted little time in jumping out to a lead as Shane Prince opened the scoring for the Senators less than three minutes into the game. Pageau notched his first of the game, his 18th overall on the season, with 2:42 left in the first period to extend the lead to 2-0.
The Sens' sniper took advantage of a Chuck Kobasew hooking penalty that came late in the first, and picked up his second of the game - a power play goal - just 18 seconds into the second period.
David Dziurzynski made it a 4-0 game at 4:46 of the second, before Pageau notched his second power play tally of the night at 6:26 to make it a 5-0 game.
The Penguins picked up their first goal of the night 20 seconds later as Adam Payerl picked up his fifth goal of the season.
Bobby Farnham grabbed a shorthanded marker at 13:58 to make it a 5-2 game after 40 minutes of play.
Andrew Ebbett picked up his 13th goal of the season 12:10 into the third, before Kobasew netted his 11th goal in 12 games with the Penguins with 2:36 to go in regulation.
That's as close as the Penguins would get though, as Andrew Hammond made 43 saves on the night to lead his team to the victory.
The Penguins finish up their 2013-14 regular season on Saturday night against the Utica Comets at 7:00pm.
Penguins playoff ticket packages are on sale now by calling the Penguins at 570-208-7367.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.