Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago
Rockford, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs had little room for error, needing to win their remaining two games heading into Friday's clash with the Chicago Wolves. Their intra-state rivals ended their playoff hopes and also took the Illinois Lottery Cup with a 5-3 win at the BMO.
With the IceHogs leading 3-2 in the second period, the Wolves got the equalizer with 4:03 reamining in the frame. Tyler Shattock received the puck from Keith Aucoin in the right face-off circle and fired a pinpoint wrist shot over the left shoulder of Jason LaBarbera for the 3-3 marker.
Nathan Longpre put the Wolves ahead, 4-3, with 9:46 left in regulation on his sixth goal of the season. Longpre and Jake Chelios stormed into the Rockford zone and Chelios hit Longpre right in front of LaBarbera and he tucked it home.
The Wolves sealed the game and the IceHogs fate with an empty-net tally with 18 seconds left in the contest. Alexandre Bolduc flipped the puck from center ice on a delayed penalty to stretch the Chicago lead to 5-3.
The scoring started early as the Wolves marked the first goal of the game at 1:07 of the first period. Sergey Andronov took a pass in front of LaBarbera from Shattock and skated across the goal mouth to find space and fired the puck home.
The score was evened at one with 5:51 left in the opening frame Wade Brookbank and Pat Mullane got the puck to David Gilbert in the left face-off circle. Gilbert took the pass and fired a wrister past Matt Climie for his first of the season and the game-tying goal.
One minute and 18 seconds later, Rockford took the lead, 2-1, when Terry Broadhurst found rookie Ryan Hartman storming toward the net. In his eighth professional game, Hartman put the puck on Climie and it rolled over the line for the winger's first professional goal.
At 5:28 of the sandwich frame, Michael Davies skated into the IceHogs zone on a 2-on-1 break but kept the puck the whole way. The winger flicked in his 12th goal of the season to tie the game back up at 2-2.
The IceHogs and Wolves continued to trade goals as Rockford took another lead at 9:42 of the second period. Phillip Danault was able to muscle the puck into the back of the net to give the IceHogs their second lead of the game at 3-2.
LaBarbera was saddled with the loss after stopping 25 of the 29 shots he faced. Climie earned his 11th win of the season with 32 saves.
Next Home Game: Saturday, April 19 against the Charlotte Checkers. The final puck of the regular season drops at 7 p.m. The first 2,500 fans at the game will receive a 2013-14 team photo courtesy of Proforma Dimensions.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rockford IceHogs Stories
- Bring An IceHog Home for the Holidays During the Exclusive Online Game-Worn Jersey Auction
- IceHogs' Annual Garage Sale Is Tomorrow
- Rockford IceHogs' Annual Garage Sale Is this Saturday
- Find Gifts for Everyone and Save up to 60% at the IceHogs' Annual Garage Sale on November 21
- Oink Outfitters Is Open for All of Your IceHogs Holiday Shopping