Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale
NORFOLK, Va. - Former Hershey Bears forward Dave Steckel scored with 59.8 seconds left in the second period, a goal that turned out to be the winner as the Norfolk Admirals went on to a 3-1 victory on Friday night at Norfolk Scope. The win pushes the Admirals into the Calder Cup Playoffs and eliminates the Bears from postseason play with one game remaining.
Norfolk would excite the Scope crowd early, scoring on their first shot of the game. After William Karlsson emerged from a puck battle in the left wing corner, he found Emerson Etem backing up inside the left circle. Etem then snapped a one-timer over the blocker of Grubauer at 2:19 for his 24th of the season and second in as many games.
The Bears would kill off a Norfolk power play later in the frame, and would battle for the equalizer. Not long after Grubauer denied Nic Kerdiles on a breakaway from the blue line, the Bears would get possession in the offensive zone. Brandon Segal worked a pass up the right boards, where Tyson Strachan floated a wrist shot. The puck sailed past a screened Brad Thiessen at 14:53 for the tying goal.
The two teams would then play an entertaining and tight second, with two power play chances for each squad. Norfolk would get the last chance of the frame, and although unable to convert, got the go-ahead marker shortly afterward. A centering pass by Kerdiles would be knocked down in front. Grubauer would poke at the puck but Steckel lifted it home to give the Admirals a 2-1 lead.
Max Friberg sealed the win by hitting the empty net with 28 seconds left in regulation.
Grubauer made 23 saves on 25 shots but took the loss to fall to 13-13-2. Thiessen stopped 21 of 22 in the Norfolk net and improved to 8-6-2.
With the loss, the Bears record falls to 38-27-5-5. The club will finish in ninth place in the Eastern Conference.
The Bears close out the regular season tomorrow, April 19 at 7:00 PM against the Adirondack Phantoms. The game is sold out, but is available on the Bears Radio Network of affiliates WQIC-FM 100.1, WKBO-AM 1230, WRBT-FM 94.9 HD-2 and WOYK-AM 1350, and on WHP-AM 580 on the iHeart Radio application for smartphone users. The Bears Radio Network is proudly presented by Turkey Hill Minit Markets. Fans may also watch the game for a small fee at http://www.ahllive.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Sign Forward Yanick Turcotte to AHL Contract
- Capitals Add Veteran Defenders Dylan McIlrath and Matt Irwin, Sign Shepard, Re-Sign Johansen
- Captain Matt Moulson Returns for Third Season with Bears
- Hershey Bears Announce Schedule for 2021-22 Season
- Bears Sign Veteran Defender Cody Franson to AHL Deal