Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Texas Stars, proud American Hockey League affiliate of the Dallas Stars, announced today that center Travis Morin has been voted the winner of the Les Cunningham Award as the AHL's most valuable player for the 2013-14 season.
The award is voted on by coaches, players and members of the media in each of the league's 30 cities.
Since notching four points on opening night, Morin has been the American Hockey League's leading scorer wire-to-wire in 2013-14 and has 32 goals and 55 assists for 87 points with a plus-16 rating in 65 games with Texas heading into the final weekend of the regular season. Leading the offense for the regular-season champion Stars, Morin has nearly doubled his 44-point output from a year ago while setting franchise records for assists and points in a season. The CCM/AHL Player of the Month in both October and January, Morin began the season on a 10-game scoring streak and has gone without a point in consecutive games on just four occasions all year. He took part in the 2014 AHL All-Star Classic in February and was named a 2013-14 First Team AHL All-Star last week.
A seventh-year pro from Brooklyn Park, Minn., Morin has also appeared in four games with the Dallas Stars this season, picking up an assist for his first career NHL point. In 349 career AHL games with Texas and Hershey, Morin has totaled 99 goals and 196 assists for 295 points, and he is the Stars franchise's all-time leader in goals (99), assists (195), points (294) in 344 contests with the club.
Here is the link to a highlight package of Morin from this season, courtesy of SendtoNews: http://www.sendtonews.com/#!highlight/story/U34FUdz7Sg
The AHL's most valuable player award honors the late Les Cunningham, a member of the AHL Hall of Fame who was a five-time league All-Star and three-time Calder Cup champion with the Cleveland Barons. Previous winners of the award include Carl Liscombe (1948, '49), Johnny Bower (1956, '57, '58), Fred Glover (1960, '62, '64), Mike Nykoluk (1967), Gilles Villemure (1969, '70), Doug Gibson (1975, '77), Pelle Lindbergh (1981), Ross Yates (1983), Paul Gardner (1985, '86), Tim Tookey (1987), Jody Gage (1988), John Anderson (1992), Don Biggs (1993), Derek Armstrong (2001), Jason LaBarbera (2004), Jason Spezza (2005), Darren Haydar (2007), Keith Aucoin (2010), Corey Locke (2011), Cory Conacher (2012) and Tyler Johnson (2013).
In operation since 1936, the American Hockey League continues to serve as the top development league for all 30 National Hockey League teams. Nearly 90 percent of all players competing in the NHL are AHL graduates, and through the years the American Hockey League has been home to more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame. The 2013-14 regular season ends on Saturday, and then 16 clubs will continue to vie for the league's coveted championship trophy when the 2014 Calder Cup Playoffs get underway next week.
The Texas Stars will complete the 2013-14 regular season at Cedar Park Center on Saturday, April 19th at 7:00 p.m. against the Abbotsford Heat. Saturday's game is Fan Appreciation Night with a Stars Commemorative Print Giveaway, as well as being a Coke Zero Family Four Pack Night and a Texas Lottery Lucky Row Night. Texas Stars' 2014 Calder Cup playoff ticket packages are on sale now! Reserve your seats for all Calder Cup playoff games at Cedar Park Center at a discounted rate. For more information on Texas Stars playoff tickets call (512) GO-STARS (467-8277) or visit www.TexasStarsHockey.com .
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Stars Stories
- Dallas Stars Issue Seven Qualifying Offers
- Texas Stars, AHL Reveal 2021-22 Schedule
- Dallas Stars Announce Two-Year Extension with ECHL Affiliate Idaho Steelheads
- AHL Athletic Trainers Selected as Winners of Yanick Dupre Memorial Award
- Max Martin Returns to Texas on AHL Deal