Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1
Rochester, NY - The Syracuse Crunch were out-matched by the Rochester Americans, falling 5-1 tonight at Blue Cross Arena.
The loss drops the club's overall record to 30-32-4-9 and brings the eight-game season series against the I-90 rivals to 4-4-0-0 draw.
Crunch netminder Cedrick Desjardins allowed five goals on 24 shots in defeat. Rochester goaltender Andrey Makarov stopped 22 of 23 shots. Syracuse allowed one-power play goal on three power-play chances and was unable to convert on their one power-play opportunity.
Rochester scored the first of three opening frame goals 7:44 into the period. Tim Schaller one-timed a feed from Colton Gillies past Desjardins from the left circle to go up 1-0. Brayden Irwin earned the secondary assist. Rochester doubled their lead when Luke Adam capitalized on a turnover behind the Crunch net for an unassisted score with 11:04 to play in the period. The Amerks converted on their first power-play chance of the game to go up 3-0 at the 12:42 mark. Irwin potted his own rebound, assisted by Phil Varone and Chad Ruhwedel.
Nick Deslauriers extended Rochester's lead to 4-0 when he flipped a Kevin Sundher feed past Desjardins 2:49 into the second period. Kevin Porter also registered an assist on the goal.
Jonathan Marchessault put the Crunch on the board 3:32 into the final frame. After a successful five-on-three penalty kill from the Crunch, Marchessault beat Makarov for his team-leading 22nd goal of the season. Brett Connolly was credited with the lone assist.
Rochester went up 5-1 on a redirection from Varone with 4:32 to play. Johan Larsson and former Syracuse Crunch forward Alex Hutchings earned assists.
The Crunch will conclude their 2013-14 season in Hamilton on Saturday, April 19.
CRUNCHABLES: With Mike Angelidis out of the lineup due to illness, rookie defenseman Luke Witkowski became the only player to appear in every Crunch game this season...After receiving an elbowing major and fighting penalty in the second period Witkowski's penalty minute season total surpassed 204...Witkowski leads the team while Angelidis is the next closest player with 157...With his goal tonight Jonathan Marchessault has seven points (5g, 2a) in his last six games
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Syracuse Crunch Stories
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forward Ross Colton to One-Year Contract
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Defenseman Ben Thomas
- Tampa Bay Lightning Sign Defenseman Andreas Borgman, Goaltender Chris Gibson
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Goaltender Spencer Martin
- Tampa Bay Lightning Re-Sign Forwards Mitchell Stephens, Gemel Smith