Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps
Worcester, MA - St. John's Mike Hutchinson posted his third shutout of the season as the Worcester Sharks (35-34-4-2, 76pts) were slated by the St. John's IceCaps (45-23-2-5, 94pts) 6-0 before 4,909 fans at the DCU Center Friday evening. The Sharks close their season-ending seven game home stand Saturday, April 19 against the Providence Bruins at 7pm on Fan Appreciation Night.
After 60 minutes of play, the Sharks couldn't break through St. John's tender Mike Hutchinson who registered his 3rd shutout win of the season after making all 23 saves on the Sharks shots. Four of the IceCaps scorers posted a multiple point night including Eric O'Dell (1-1-2), Ben Chiarot (1-1-2), Carl Klingberg (1-1-2) and Jerome Samson (1-3-4) while Kyle Mackinnon and J.C. Lipon also posted goals in the IceCaps 6-0 win. The Sharks fired 23 shots, led by Rylan Schwartz (5) and Daniil Tarasov (4) but Worcester couldn't break by Hutchinson and were shut out for the second consecutive time on home ice and for the seventh time this season. Harri Sateri made 22 saves in 28 shots in net for Worcester as the Sharks fall to 1-4-1-0 on their season ending home stand.
The IceCaps took a two-goal lead in the first period as they found the back of the net twice, while blanking the Sharks. The opening marker occurred at 11:56 after a battle for the puck along the right side of the boards in Worcester defensive was won by St. John's. After gaining possession, J.C. Lipon sent the puck from behind the Sharks net to Eric O'Dell (17th), who was wide open in the paint to send it top-shelf of Sateri for the lead. The second tally came just minutes later, at 14:15 when a St. John's face-off win in the left stick-side circle went back to Ben Chiarot, who wristed a shot from the center of the blue line that was tipped in front by Kyle MacKinnon (12th) to put Worcester behind two. Shots for the period were 8-6 in favor or the Sharks, but Hutchinson pushed aside all eight of Worcester's chances.
St. John's doubled up on the scoring in the middle frame, holding a comfortable 4-0 advantage over Worcester after 40 minutes. The third IceCap goal came at 11:13 off an odd man rush out of the St. John's defensive zone. Jerome Samson dished a pass across the right of the IceCaps offensive zone to Josh Lunden (4th), who retrieved it just outside Sateri's stick-side post before roofing it bar-down. Then, just over two minutes later at 13:58, J.C. Lipon chipped the puck in from the neutral zone to Ben Chiarot (6th) who picked it up at the blue line and skated through the IceCaps' offensive end before sniping a low ripper from the left circle below the glove of Sateri and into the far side of the net to make it 4-0. Worcester was outshot 11-8 in the period.
The IceCaps again added two goals in the final period to seal the win at 6-0. The fifth tally of the night came on an IceCaps power play at 7:29 when Carl Klingberg (22nd) took a shot from the glove-side right circle that caught a piece of Sateri's pad before trickling into the net. The sixth and final marker of the evening occurred at 16:04 when Jerome Samson (26th) wheeled through the offensive zone cutting off his defenseman before crossing the front of the net and chipping the puck between Sateri and the right post. The Sharks were outshot 9-7 in the final period.
The Sharks' overall record falls to 35-34-4-2, 76pts and 18-17-1-1, 38pts at home.
Notes: Three Stars: 3rd star: Ben Chiarot (1-1-2) 2nd star: Mike Hutchinson (23 SVS, Win) 1st star: Jerome Samson (1-3-4)...Final shots were 28-23 in favor of St. John's...Michael Hutchinson made 23 saves on 23 shots for St. John's...Harri Sateri made 22 saves on 28 shots for Worcester...Worcester went 0-3 on the power play while St. John's went 1-5... John McCarthy (inj.), Konrad Abeltshauser (inj), Marek Viedensky (inj) and Jimmy Bonneau did not dress for Worcester...Sena Acolatse returned back into the lineup after an injury sidelined him since Feb. 21 (missed 24 games) when the Sharks fell to the IceCaps at home...the Sharks are 2-4-1-1(6pts in 8gp) in the month of April...Matt Pelech piled up 16 penalty minutes in the game.... before the game over 1,800 job seekers attended the Worcester Sharks 4th annual Job Fair at the DCU Center.
Saturday is the last chance to catch the Sharks in action this season!
On Saturday, the Sharks host the Providence Bruins on Fan Appreciation Night! Doors open at 4pm for the annual Boston Bruins Alumni doubleheader slated at 4:30pm to benefit the Why Me organization.
The annual Youth Hockey Parade of Champions will welcome the Worcester Sharks players during a special pregame ceremony! Worcester will wear their TEAL jerseys that fans can bid on during the game and receive postgame on the ice right off the back of the Sharks players! There will be plenty of giveaways throughout the game including a pair of JetBlue ticket vouchers! This will be your last chance to catch the Sharks this season!
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.