Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT
Oklahoma City, OK - The Iowa Wild (27-36-7-5, 66 points) were defeated by the Oklahoma City Barons (35-29-2-9, 81 points) 4-3 in overtime in front of 4,344 fans at Cox Convention Center on Friday night. Forward C.J. Stretch broke a 3-3 tie with 1:39 remaining in overtime, scoring off a transitional rush to propel the Barons into the postseason with the overtime win. Iowa claimed it's first lead of the night at 15:08 of the third period off rookie Kurtis Gabriel's goal, but lost the lead with 2:01 left as Roman Horak forced overtime with his 23rd goal of the year. Iowa rookie Tyler Graovac scored twice over a 39-second stretch of the second period and added an assist for his first career three-point night. Barons' goalie Richard Bachman (26-19-6) made 33 saves and Captain Anton Lander added three assists for the win. Gabriel (1g,1a) and forward Brad Winchester (2a) each recorded a two-point night as Iowa fell to 16-14-4-3 on the road this season. Wild goalie Johan Gustafsson (12-20-3) made 23 saves in defeat. The Wild concludes its regular season in Oklahoma City at 7 p.m. this Saturday.
The Wild started the first with some penalty trouble, but managed to kill off three Oklahoma City power plays. The Barons broke through the Wild defense at 13:24 of the first period with a tally by Austin Fyten. The Oklahoma City streaked down the right-wing wall and slip a wrist shot inside the post and past goalie Johan Gustafsson for the 1-0 score. Forwards Anton Lander and Andrew Miller each had an assist on Fyten's seventh goal of the season. In the last two minutes of the period, defenseman David Musil made it a 2-0 lead for Oklahoma City. A rebound kicked out to the high slot and the Barons defenseman beat Gustafsson with a slapshot for the two-goal lead. Lander and forward Roman Horak had the assists on Musil's second goal of the year.
Iowa stormed back in the second period behind the play of rookie Tyler Graovac. The Wild trimmed the deficit to 2-1 at 11:35 of the middle frame. Forward Brad Winchester snapped a pass out of the Barons corner, finding Graovac in the high slot. The Wild forward ripped a shot past goalie Richard Bachman for his 11th goal of the season. Winger Zack Phillips added an assist as Iowa pulled within a goal. Merely 39 seconds later, Graovac struck for his second goal of the night at 12:14 for his 12th goal of the year. Similar to the first goal, Graovac was set up to the left of the high slot and received a pass from rookie Kurtis Gabriel. Graovac beat Bachman for the second time, scoring the two fastest goals by a single player all year. Forward Jamie MacQueen added the assist on Iowa's second goal of the night.
The Wild scored with 4:52 left in the third period to take a 3-2 lead. Kurtis Gabriel found a loose rebound in the Barons slot and potted his second goal of the season. Graovac and Winchester each added an assist on the tally. Oklahoma City pulled even with 2:01 left in the third, forward Roman Horak beat Gustafsson with a slapshot for his 23rd goal of the year and a 3-3 tie. Lander and Matthew Ford each had an assist on the game-tying goal, forcing overtime.
After an Iowa scoring chance, the Barons transitioned quickly through center and into the Wild zone. Forward C.J. Stretch beat Gustafsson with a wrist shot at 3:21 of overtime. Forward Andrew Miller added an assist on the game-winning goal for the 4-3 final.
The Wild concludes its regular season in Oklahoma City at 7 p.m. on April 19.
Fans may purchase single game tickets multiple ways, either through the team's website - www.Iowawild.com, Wells Fargo Arena box office or Dahl's Ticketing. Tickets are available online at www.iowawild.com under the single game tickets tab. Fans may also purchase tickets by calling 1-866-55-DAHLS (32457) or by visiting one of 13 Dahl's Food Stores locations in the greater Des Moines area, and in Ames. In order to purchase group tickets (10 or more), please call the Iowa Wild ticketing department at 515-564-8700. Fans interested in buying full season, or smaller season packages may call the Iowa Wild front office at 515-564-8700.
The Iowa Wild regular season is presented by Mercy Medical Center. Season tickets to see the Wild play at Wells Fargo Arena start at just $9 per game. For more information on tickets, please contact the Wild ticket office by calling 515-564-8700 or go to www.iowawild.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Iowa Wild Stories
- Iowa Wild Announces Nate Dicasmirro and Nolan Yonkman as Assistant Coaches
- Minnesota Wild Names Todd Frederickson Vice President of Marketing
- Minnesota Wild Agrees to Terms with Forward Brandon Duhaime on a Two-Year Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Defenseman Kevin Czuczman to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract
- Minnesota Wild Signs Forward Dominic Turgeon to a One-Year, Two-Way Contract