IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks
Jerome Samson notched a goal and three assists as the St. John's IceCaps blanked the Worcester Sharks 6-0 at the DCU Center Friday night.
Michael Hutchinson made 23 saves for the shutout in his first start for the IceCaps since March 15th. JC Lipon had three helpers, while Eric O'Dell and Ben Chiarot notched a goal and an assist each.
Kyle MacKinnon, Josh Lunden and Carl Klingberg had the other tallies for St. John's, which has scored six goals in back-to-back games.
The IceCaps opened the scoring on O'Dell's 17th of the season at 11:56 of the first. Lipon picked up the loose puck at the side of the net and fed a pass in front to a wide-open O'Dell, who buried it past Harri Sateri to make it 1-0.
Kyle MacKinnon made it 2-0 at 14:15 on his 12th of the season. Ben Chiarot fired a wrister from the point that was redirected by MacKinnon in front of Sateri and over the netminder's right shoulder.
Just past the midway point of the second, Lunden made it 3-0 for the visitors. Samson gained the Worcester zone and fed a nice pass to Lunden, who went top shelf from the slot for a three-goal IceCaps lead.
Minutes later Chiarot gave the visitors a four-goal advantage when he jumped up on the rush and fired a wrist shot underneath the glove of Sateri to make it 4-0.
St. John's added to its lead in the third on a power play tally from Klingberg. O'Dell made a nice pass to hit Klingberg in stride, and the Swede burst in on the right side and beat Sateri low to give the IceCaps a 5-0 cushion.
Samson capped off his four-point night at 16:04 of the third with his 26th of the season after blowing past the defence and beating Sateri with a wrist shot for a 6-0 IceCaps lead.
The IceCaps finish the regular season Saturday when they face the Pirates in Saco, Maine (8:30 p.m. NT). Catch all the action with broadcaster Brian Rogers at www.stjohnsicecaps.com and 930 AM. Pregame show begins at 8:00.
Notes: Not dressed for the IceCaps: Julian Melchiori, Adam Lowry, Will O'Neill, Cody Lampl, Ryan Schnell, Brandon MacLean, Austin Brassard, Eric Comrie, Eddie Pasquale... Samson and Lipon were both a game-high +4... St. John's went 1-for-5 on the power play and 3-for-3 on the penalty kill... Molson Canadian Three Stars: 1. Jerome Samson 2. Michael Hutchinson 3. Ben Chiarot... Mary Brown's Hardest Working Player: Eric O'Dell.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.