Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed
The Adirondack Phantoms have announced that forward Tye McGinn has been returned on loan by the Philadelphia Flyers. Additionally, it was announced that forward Chris VandeVelde has been recalled by Philadelphia from the Phantoms.
Two more transactions that were announced include the signing of goaltender Matt Weninger to an Amateur Tryout Contract and also the release of defenseman Mike Matczak from his professional tryout contract who was returned to Kalamazoo of the ECHL.
Tye McGinn was on his fifth recall of the season with Philadelphia. From March 20 through April 13 he played 10 additional games for the Flyers scoring one goal and one assist. On the season as a whole, McGinn has played in 18 games for Philadelphia scoring 4-1-5. Last year, he also played in 18 games for the Flyers scoring 3-0-3. This season with the Phantoms, McGinn has scored 20-15-35 in 54 games played. In 163 career games for the Adirondack Phantoms he has scored 46-33-79. The third-year pro from Fergus, Ontario rates fourth all-time with the Adirondack Phantoms in career goals, sixth in points, and ninth in total games played.
Chris VandeVelde has not played since a lower-body injury in a Phantoms game on March 15. The fourth-year pro from the University of North Dakota has played in 41 games for the Phantoms this season scoring 10-14-24. He has also played in 18 games for the Philadelphia Flyers scoring 0-1-1. His most recent game for Philadelphia was March 11 against New Jersey. Prior to that, he played in 17 games for the Flyers from December 12 through January 28 in the longest continuous NHL stint of his career. He has 46 career NHL games with Philadelphia and Edmonton scoring 1-3-4. His only NHL goal came against current Flyers' goaltender Steve Mason in a game between Edmonton and Columbus on March 25, 2012.
Mike Matczak joined the Phantoms on a professional tryout contract on December 28 and stayed with the team for nearly four months. The fourth-year pro out of Yale University played in 34 games for the Phantoms scoring 1-3-4. Matczak is from the Philadelphia suburb of Sewell, NJ. He rejoins the Kalamazoo Wings of the ECHL for their upcoming playoff series against Greenville.
Matt Weninger out of St. Lawrence University dressed just this past Sunday in Adirondack's home game but did not see game-action. He was released from his Amateur Tryout Contract after the game. He rejoins the team while Carsen Chubak is day-to-day with an upper-body injury. Weninger has yet to play in a professional game. He will share the goaltending duties with fellow newcomer Tony Capobianco of Canisius College for the remaining games of the regular season.
The final home game for the Adirondack Phantoms is this Friday night at 7:00 against the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
The Phantoms have announced a Team Photo Giveaway Night for the first 4,000 fans in attendance courtesy of the Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce.
The Phantoms carry a three-game home win streak into their last ever game at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Friday's crowd is expected to be another strong turnout as local fans want to wish their team a fond farewell after five seasons representing the region.
Be part of the special night and purchase your tickets in advance by calling the Adirondack Phantoms at 518-480-3355.
Friday, April 18 (7:00) - Bridgeport Sound Tigers at Adirondack Phantoms - Fond Farewell Night!
Team Photo Giveaway Night (first 4,000 fans) presented by Adirondack Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Saturday, April 19 (7:00) - Adirondack Phantoms at Hershey Bears - Last Game
25 Terrific Seasons
Glens Falls is celebrating its 25th season hosting an AHL team and in so doing now joins an elite group of just 9 other active markets who can make such a claim. It's a great hockey tradition with an old-school feel that began with the Adirondack Red Wings in 1979. In their 20-year tenure at the Glens Falls Civic Center through 1999, the Red Wings won four Calder Cups. The Adirondack Phantoms began play in Glens Falls in 2009-10 and are in their fifth season bringing exciting AHL action to the North Country.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 18, 2014
- Record Attendance on Fond Farewell Night - Adirondack Phantoms
- Griffins' Quest for Division Title Down to the Wire - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Barons Take on the Texas Stars in Western Conference Quarterfinals - Oklahoma City Barons
- Rampage Close out 2013-14 Season with 3-0 Loss to Abbotsford - San Antonio Rampage
- B-Sens Hang on against Penguins to Clinch East Division Title - Binghamton Senators
- Playoff Hopes Sink with 5-3 Loss to Chicago - Rockford IceHogs
- Admirals Sweep Bears to Clinch Playoff Berth - Norfolk Admirals
- Heat Shut Out Rampage 3-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Texas Stars Announce Schedule for 2014 Western Conference - Texas Stars
- Admirals Stifle Bears in Road Finale - Hershey Bears
- Barons Clinch Playoff Berth with 4-3 OT Win over Iowa - Oklahoma City Barons
- Next Stop: the Playoffs - Manchester Monarchs
- Amerks Dispatch Crunch in Regular Season Home Finale - Rochester Americans
- Wolves Win to Pull Even with Grand Rapids in Midwest Division - Chicago Wolves
- Pens Drop 5-4 Decision in Binghamton - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Sound Tigers Defeat Phantoms in OT - Bridgeport Islanders
- Barons Edge Wild 4-3 in OT - Iowa Wild
- Sharks Blanked 6-0 by IceCaps - Worcester Sharks
- LeNeveu Keeps Wolf Pack Hot with 2-1 Win over Springfield - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Top Griffins 4-2 - Cleveland Monsters
- P-Bruins Clinch Playoff Berth, Win over Monarchs, 2-1 OT - Providence Bruins
- IceCaps Take Care of Business Versus Sharks - St. John's IceCaps
- Syracuse Toppled by Rochester 5-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Falcons Win Streak Snapped in 2-1 Loss at Hartford - Springfield Falcons
- Admirals 2014-15 Home Opener Set for October 10 - Milwaukee Admirals
- Davies Repeats as Winner of Dan Snyder Award - Chicago Wolves
- Bulldogs Release Narbonne from Try Out - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Texas Stars Center Travis Morin Named American Hockey League MVP - Texas Stars
- Texas's Travis Morin Voted 2013-14 American Hockey League MVP - AHL
- Gameday: Comets vs Toronto - Utica Comets
- Tye McGinn Returns, Other Transactions Completed - Adirondack Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.