Palm Springs to Join American Hockey League as 32nd Franchise
September 30, 2019 - American Hockey League (AHL) News Release
SPRINGFIELD, Mass. ... American Hockey League President and Chief Executive Officer David Andrews announced today that the AHL Board of Governors has awarded an expansion franchise to NHL Seattle and Oak View Group.
The AHL's 32nd team will be located in Palm Springs, Calif., and will begin play as the primary development affiliate of the NHL's expansion Seattle franchise in the fall of 2021.
"On behalf of the AHL's Board of Governors, I am thrilled to welcome the NHL Seattle and OVG ownership teams and the city of Palm Springs as the league's 32nd franchise," said Andrews. "Palm Springs has all the makings of an outstanding hockey market, and will further strengthen the growing base of our sport in California."
In operation since 1936, the AHL serves as the top development league for the players, coaches, managers, executives and broadcasters of every National Hockey League organization. Nearly 90 percent of today's NHL players are American Hockey League graduates, and more than 100 honored members of the Hockey Hall of Fame spent time in the AHL in their careers.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from September 30, 2019
- Phantoms Finish Preseason 2-1-0 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Coyotes Assign Adin Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Bears Blank Phantoms to Conclude Preseason Schedule - Hershey Bears
- San Jose Barracuda Announce 2019-20 Regular-Season Date Change - San Jose Barracuda
- Senators Host Second Golf Classic to Benefit CMHA - Belleville Senators
- Coyotes Assign Hill to Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Kings Assign Two to Ontario - Ontario Reign
- Amerks Begin 64th Season Friday Night - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Weekly, September 30-October 6 - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Monsters Weekly - Cleveland Monsters
- Monsters Announce 2019-20 'Grow the Game' Initiatives - Cleveland Monsters
- Chicago Wolves Regain Kolesar, Bischoff - Chicago Wolves
- Minnesota Wild Reduces Training Camp Roster to 24 Players - Iowa Wild
- Five Players Assigned by NY Rangers, Nine Removed from Roster - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Jets Assign Five Players to the Manitoba Moose - Manitoba Moose
- San Jose Barracuda Reassign Forward Marcus Vela to Orlando - San Jose Barracuda
- Sens Announce Exclusive Ticketing Offers - Belleville Senators
- Palm Springs to Join American Hockey League as 32nd Franchise - AHL
- Colorado Eagles Reassign Nine Players - Colorado Eagles
- Blue Jackets Assign Robinson to Monsters, Place Dano on Waivers - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Update Training Camp Roster - Toronto Marlies
- Sens Trim Training Camp Roster by Eight - Belleville Senators
- Preseason Game Preview: Bears at Phantoms, 7:05 PM - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.