Oil Kings Power Past Silvertips
Edmonton, AB - The Edmonton Oil Kings used a three-goal third period to storm back to defeat the Everett Silvertips 5-3 in front of 17,226 fans at Rogers Place on Friday night at their 16th annual Teddy Bear Toss game.
The Silvertips would briefly quiet the near capacity crowd at Rogers Place after Teague Patton opened the scoring 10:28 into the first period after he pinballed a shot off the post and just across the goal line.
Just over two minutes later though, the fur would fly courtesy Landon Hanson's second goal of the season after he finished a backdoor setup from Ty Nash and Gavin Hodnett. The goal was the third career goal for the Grande Prairie, AB product.
A total of 14,729 bears were collected.
After the thousands upon thousands of bears were cleaned up and shipped out to 630 CHED Santas Anonymous, the game resumed and the Silvertips were able to restore their lead with just over a minute left in the period after Ben Hemmerling was able settle a bouncing puck in the slot with a one-timer that found it's way into the Edmonton net.
In the second period, the Oil Kings were able to level the score less than three minutes in after Marshall Finnie deposited a rebound off a Smyth Rebman shot for his seventh goal of the season.
Late in the period though, the Silvertips were again able to grab a go-ahead goal after Julius Miettinen finished off a drop pass from Hemmerling in front of the Edmonton net.
In the third period, the Oil Kings, for a second straight home game, would mount an impressive comeback.
Nash tied the game at three as he extended his goal streak to three games after smacking in a rebound on an Edmonton power play 8:32 into the third period.
Then, with just over a minute left in the game and Edmonton on another power play, Gavin Hodnett feathered a perfect rink-wide feed to the tape of Marc Lajoie in the right-circle who lasered home a shot off the backbar to give the Oil Kings their first lead of the game. With his goal, Lajoie extended his personal point streak to a career-best eight games.
In the final seconds, Roan Woodward provided the dagger as he tossed in his fourth goal of the season into the empty net against his former team.
Kolby Hay finished the night making 36 saves for the Oil Kings, while Ethan Chadwick made 20 for the 'Tips. Edmonton went 2-for-3 on the power play, Everett was 0-for-4.
Next up, the Oil Kings host the Moose Jaw Warriors this Sunday at 4:00 P.M.
The Edmonton Oil Kings next home game is this Sunday, December 3 at 4:00 P.M. when they welcome the Moose Jaw Warriors to Rogers Place for a Family Fun Sunday.
The Oil Kings are Edmonton's first choice for family fun with great seats starting at $20 and season seats for as low as $9 per-game for an entire season of thrilling WHL action!
Head to OilKings.ca to secure your seat today!
• Discuss this story on the Western Hockey League message board...
Western Hockey League Stories from December 1, 2023
- Cougars Begin Us Road Swing With 4-1 Win Over Americans - Prince George Cougars
- Game Day Hub: December 2 vs. Wenatchee - Portland Winterhawks
- Oil Kings Power Past Silvertips - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Savoie Sparks Wild Past Hawks - Portland Winterhawks
- Hawks Fall in Wenatchee - Portland Winterhawks
- Blades Finish Road Trip With Win Over Hurricanes - Saskatoon Blades
- Tigers Fall to Hitmen - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Warriors Fend off Rebels in Friday Win - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Oil Kings Rally Late To Pick Up 5-3 Win Over Silvertips In Edmonton - Everett Silvertips
- Hitmen Get Past Tigers, 7-3 - Calgary Hitmen
- Raiders Tie the Game Late and Beat Slough Sharks 4-3 in a Shootout - Prince Albert Raiders
- Special Teams' Power Offensive Eruption for Walleye - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Slough Sharks Fall in Shootout to Raiders - Swift Current Broncos
- Pats End Five-Game Road Swing With 7-1 Loss - Regina Pats
- Spokane Chiefs Partner with Local Gonzaga Alumni Chapter for GU Night - Spokane Chiefs
- 2023 Teddy Bear Toss Powered by ENMAX December 3rd - Calgary Hitmen
- Cole Reschny Named WHL Rookie of the Month - Victoria Royals
- Wheat Kings Turn Walleye for One Night - Brandon Wheat Kings
- Gabe Klassen Named WHL Player of the Month - Portland Winterhawks
- WHL Announces Monthly Award Winners for November - WHL
- Ravensbergen Named WHL's Goaltender of the Month - Prince George Cougars
- Gustafson Signs with the Golden Knights - Seattle Thunderbirds
- Game Day Hub: December 1 at Wenatchee - Portland Winterhawks
- Preview: Oil Kings vs. Everett Silvertips - Edmonton Oil Kings
- Preview: Americans vs Cougars - December 1 - Tri-City Americans
- Warriors Building off Strong Play Going to Alberta - Moose Jaw Warriors
- Game Day Preview: Game 26 vs Calgary - Medicine Hat Tigers
- Kelowna Rockets Against Vancouve Preview - Kelowna Rockets
- Preview: Cougars Begin Three Games in Three Nights Against Americans - Prince George Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.