Noll's big fly backs Espino's strong start as Grizzlies keep Chihuahuas on leash
Fresno, California (Saturday, May 25) - The Fresno Grizzlies (26-23) topped the El Paso Chihuahuas (31-18) 5-2 from Chukchansi Park, earning them their third straight victory. In back-to-back starts, Paolo Espino (4-1, win) dazzled for seven innings. The right hander struck out seven while allowing four hits and two runs. Fresno has now won five consecutive and six of seven Espino outings. Dakota Bacus and Derek Self followed Espino, hurling two scoreless frames. Self collected his fifth save in the process.
Jake Noll highlighted the Grizzlies offense. The first baseman homered for the third time this season, a two-run bomb to left field in the fourth inning. He finished with a pair of hits and three RBI. Wilmer Difo added three hits and two runs in the victory. It was his first multi-hit affair since joining Fresno. Carter Kieboom supplied two RBI and a run as well.
El Paso mashed a pair of solo shots in the top of the fifth. Jacob Scavuzzo and Boog Powell each went deep. Scavuzzo has 15 longballs while Powell has six on the season. Jerry Keel (4-1) suffered his first defeat of the year.
Top Performers: Fresno Grizzlies (Washington Nationals)
- 1B Jake Noll (2-3, HR, 3 RBI, R, BB)
- 2B Wilmer Difo (3-5, 2B, 2 R)
- SS Carter Kieboom (1-4, 2 RBI, R)
Top Performers: El Paso Chihuahuas (San Diego Padres)
- CF Boog Powell (1-3, HR, RBI, R, BB)
- RF Jacob Scavuzzo (1-3, HR, RBI, R)
- 2B Chris Stewart (1-2, 2B)
DAY DATE OPPONENT PROBABLE PITCHERS TIME (PT) RADIO/TV
Sunday May 26 El Paso Chihuahuas (Home) RHP Austin Voth (Fresno) vs. LHP Dillon Overton (El Paso) 1:05 p.m. KRDU 1130 AM / MiLB.TV
ON THAT FRES-NOTE: Regardless of affiliate, the Grizzlies continue to find success in the first game of a series. They are 8-5 in openers this year, 33-16 (.673) since 2018 and 101-56 (.643) since 2015 when the Astros were associated with Fresno.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from May 26, 2019
- Sounds Shut Down Express Rally for 9-5 Victory - Round Rock Express
- Sellout Crowd Watches Sounds Slug Express - Nashville Sounds
- Salt Lake Slips on Sunday - Salt Lake Bees
- Five-Run Sixth Inning Jolts Rainiers Past Salt Lake for Second-Straight Victory - Tacoma Rainiers
- Iowa Takes Wild 14-10 Victory in New Orleans - Iowa Cubs
- Baby Cakes Drop Wild One to Iowa, 14-10 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- Nashville Sounds Game Information: Nashville Sounds (19-29) vs. Round Rock Express (29-19) - Nashville Sounds
- OKC Dodgers Game Notes - May 26, 2019 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Game Notes vs. Las Vegas - Reno Aces
- Game Notes: Memphis Redbirds (23-26) vs San Antonio Missions (29-20) - Memphis Redbirds
- Game Notes: San Antonio Missions at Memphis Redbirds - San Antonio Missions
- Chihuahuas Postponed in Fresno Sunday - El Paso Chihuahuas
- El Paso at Fresno Postponed - Fresno Grizzlies
- Houston Astros 2B Jose Altuve Joins Round Rock Express in Nashville for Major League Rehab Assignment - Round Rock Express
- Pair of 3-Run Homers Lift Aces to Victory over Aviators - Reno Aces
- Noll's big fly backs Espino's strong start as Grizzlies keep Chihuahuas on leash - Fresno Grizzlies
- Pair of Homers Not Enough for Chihuahuas - El Paso Chihuahuas
- Bees Fall to Tacoma in Game One - Salt Lake Bees
- Dodgers Start Series in Omaha with 4-2 Win - Oklahoma City Dodgers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.