Names From The Past Power Phantoms To 6-0 Win Over Amerks
(Rochester, NY)... The Adirondack Phantoms scored two goals in each period, including three on the power-play, en route to a 6-0 rout over the Rochester Americans this evening at the Glens Falls Civic Center. Three names from Rochester's past combined to power the Phantoms to their third straight win and improve to a 29-37-4-6 standing in the East Division. With the loss, Rochester has dropped two straight and nine of its last 10 to fall to 31-37-5-4 with just three games left in the regular season.
Former Amerk Denis Hamel accounted for three goals, Michael Ryan scored a pair and former netminder Michael Leighton stopped all 24 shots to earn the shutout as Adirondack posted its second consecutive whitewash. The Phantoms have now outscored their opponents 18-5 in their last three games.
Matt Read and Eric Gustafsson each tabbed four assists in the win, while Stefan Legein had his hand in two.
After nearly 19 minutes of scoreless action, Hamel put the Phantoms up 1-0 with his first of the night and team-leading 23rd goal of the season at 18:51 of the opening frame. Read and Gustafsson earned their first of four assists on the play.
The Phantoms quickly doubled their lead just 66 second later on the power-play as Ryan potted his first of the contest and 21st of the campaign with just three seconds left in the period. After Rochester's Bill Thomas took a hooking penalty at 19:21, Adirondack needed all but 36 seconds to capitalize on the man-advantage to take a two-goal cushion after the first 20 minutes of play.
Wasting very little time in the second stanza, the Phantoms continued the onslaught with Mike Testwuide's 17th goal at 3:46 that put the Phantoms up by a trio. Cullen Eddy was credited with the lone assist on the goal.
Adirondack took control of the game with Hamel's second of the night later in the period at 16:49, with help from Read and Gustafsson.
The Phantoms extended their lead to 5-0 just 12 seconds into the final frame with another power-play goal from Ryan, his second of the night, again with help from Read and Gustafsson.
Hamel completed the hat trick midway through the third period, again on the man-up, with his 25th of the season at 12:54. The former Amerk began and ended the scoring, but his first of the night was all that was needed to give Adirondack the victory.
The Amerks return home on Friday, April 8th as they close out their season series with the Binghamton Senators at The Blue Cross Arena. Fans can tune in for all the live action starting at 7:35 p.m. on SportsRadio 1280 WHTK and FM 107.3, Rochester's Sports Talk. The game will also be televised live on Time Warner Cable SportsNet.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 4, 2011
- Bulldogs Shut Out By Heat - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Irving Stops Dogs 1-0 - Abbotsford Heat
- Phantoms Win Big Again - Adirondack Phantoms
- Names From The Past Power Phantoms To 6-0 Win Over Amerks - Rochester Americans
- Norfolk Power Play Too Much For Checkers - Charlotte Checkers
- Jones Becomes AHL Admirals Career Scoring Leader as Admirals Top Checkers 5-2 - Norfolk Admirals
- Knighthawks and Amerks Players to Roll the Dice for Charity - Rochester Americans
- 3 Games Left, 2 Points out - Worcester Sharks Weekly - Worcester Sharks
- Griffins Cling to Playoff Hopes Entering Seasons Final Week - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Rampage Sign Brandon Gormley and Philip Lane - San Antonio Rampage
- Whale Return Chris McKelvie to Greenville - Connecticut Whale
- Locked And Loading Up - Manitoba Moose
- B-Sens Weekly - Binghamton Senators
- Wolves Weekly Notes - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Assign Left Wing Eric Lampe to Elmira - Syracuse Crunch
- Calder Cup Playoff Tickets on Sale Tuesday - Hershey Bears
- Whale Weekly - Connecticut Whale
- Pirates Weekly - Portland Pirates
- Griffins Sign Mrazek to ATO, Welcome Back Coetzee and Piche - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Brad Thiessen Wins American Hockey League's Outstanding Goaltender - AHL
- Bulldogs Look To Clinch Playoff Spot - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Rampage Weekly Update - San Antonio Rampage
- Admirals Look to Clinch Playoff Berth on the Road - Norfolk Admirals
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Flyers Recall Holmstrom - Adirondack Phantoms
- Canucks Re-Assign Oreskovich to Moose - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Announces Suspension - AHL
- Texas Stars Foundation and Players Team up to Help Japan - Texas Stars
- Hamiltons Calder Cup Hero Ajay Baines Joins Broadcast Team - Hamilton Bulldogs
- Barons Goaltender Jeff Deslauriers Named Reebok / AHL Goaltender of the Week - Oklahoma City Barons
- Crunch Players to Sign Autographs at Dunkin Donuts - April 5 - Syracuse Crunch
- Texas Stars Weekly - Texas Stars
- Oklahoma City's Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers Named Reebok/AHL Player of the Week - AHL
- Ice Hogs Grab Pair of Road Wins in Week 26 - Rockford IceHogs
- Monarchs Weekly - Manchester Monarchs
- Atlanta Calls for Zubarev - Chicago Wolves
- Rangers Recall Kris Newbury - Connecticut Whale
- Rampage Strike Up Fun at Bandera Bowl - San Antonio Rampage
- Crunch Release Left Wing Everett Sheen - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Announce Details of Fourth Annual Equipment Sale - Rochester Americans
- Wiseman Earns reGen/AHL Performance of the Month for March - AHL
- Bears Close Out Regular Season This Weekend - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.