Nailers Bat Away Jackals, 3-2 in Overtime
ELMIRA, NY- There was no shortage of emotion and excitement on Wednesday night, as the Wheeling Nailers and Elmira Jackals put on an incredible show for the fans at First Arena. The two clubs battled to a 2-2 tie in regulation, forcing overtime. That's when Cody Wydo rose up as the hero, as his backhand out of mid-air lifted the Nailers to the 3-2 victory. Casey DeSmith made 38 saves between the pipes.
One goal was scored in the first period, and despite the fact that the Nailers had three opportunities on the power play, it was Elmira who lit the lamp, while playing at even strength. Kyle Stroh won a face-off back to Nick Tuzzolino, who dished the puck across the blueline to Spiro Goulakos at the left point. Goulakos wristed a shot toward the left circle, where Matt Garbowsky redirected the puck to Justin Bernhardt on the right side of the crease. Bernhardt put a bit of elevation on his attempt to find the net.
Wheeling rebounded to take the lead in the middle frame, fending off a 12-8 advantage in shots for the home team. The tying goal came at the 4:24 mark, starting with Adam Krause swiping the puck down the wall from the right point. Riley Brace took the puck in the trapezoid and banked a shot off of CJ Motte and into the net, putting himself into a tie for the team lead with his 15th goal of the year. 1:08 later, the Nailers jumped ahead. Ty Loney tapped a pass forward to Andrew Ammon, who got the wheels turning through center ice. In similar fashion to Tuesday, Ammon made his way to the bottom of the left circle, before roofing a wrist shot into the top-left corner of the cage.
The Jackals had loads of pressure in the third period, with a 19-4 margin in shots on net. One of those 19 went in, and it came courtesy of a Spiro Goulakos slap shot from the top of the left circle at the 4:33 mark. The remaining 18 stayed out, as Wheeling was able to stave off the attack, while nearly winning the game in regulation. However, overtime was necessary.
As an Elmira penalty from regulation was coming to an end, the Nailers collected the triumph at the 51-second mark of bonus hockey. Clark Seymour's shot from up top was stopped, but the rebound was batted out of the air by Cody Wydo, who found the back of the net for the 3-2 victory.
Casey DeSmith was stellar in goal for Wheeling, earning the win with 38 saves on 40 shots, including 18 in the third period. CJ Motte took the overtime loss for Elmira, stopping 25 of the 28 shots he faced.
The Nailers will continue their six-game road trip on Friday night at 7:15, when they play the first of two straight games against the Brampton Beast. Wheeling will then play three home games on February 26th, 27th, and 28th. Friday the 26th is a Flat Screen Friday, presented by The Highlands and Bordas & Bordas, in addition to a Frosty Friday. Saturday the 27th is Disney Night, starring Corey Fogelmanis, who plays the character "Farkle" from Girl Meets World. That night will also be Pink in the Rink, while also featuring a Wine Tasting Event. Sunday the 28th is a Family Funday. Thanks to McDonald's, kids tickets are $5 for that afternoon's tilt, and there will be a post game skate with the team.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2016
- Norfolk Takes Bite out of Conference Leader in 4-2 Win at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Tame Solar Bears 5-3 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Score Three Power-Play Goals in 4-3 Loss at Toledo - Colorado Eagles
- Comeback Attempt Comes up Short as Solar Bears Fall to Fuel, 5-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Bull Past Colorado 4-3 for Seventh Home Win - Toledo Walleye
- Monarchs Dethrone Royals, 4-3, in Overtime Thriller - Manchester Monarchs
- Elmira Falls to Wheeling in Overtime, 3-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Open Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Bat Away Jackals, 3-2 in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Aces Trade Goaltender Steven Summerhays to Missouri - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- Bootland Brothers Clash, Familiar Faces Return this Weekend at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Knight Assigned to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Stingrays Sign Forward Kelly Zajac - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Kick off Homestand this Weekend - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- 2016/17 Season Tickets on Sale Now at 20% Off - Alaska Aces
- Josh Robinson Called-Up to American Hockey League - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jackals Return Home to Host Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Announce Several Roster Moves - Florida Everblades
- INTRUST Bank Arena Implements Security Enhancements - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Today - February 17 - ECHL
- Mavericks Shutout Tulsa 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.