Eagles Score Three Power-Play Goals in 4-3 Loss at Toledo
(Toledo, OH) - A routine dump-in that took a wild hop off a partition proved to be the game-winning goal, as the Eagles fell to the Toledo Walleye 4-3 on Wednesday in the first-ever meeting between the two clubs. Colorado's powerplay would go 3-for-7 on the night, while the Eagles penalty kill went a perfect 5-for-5 in the loss.
Toledo was first to find the back of the net, as forward Evan Rankin took a cross-slot pass and jammed it home with 11:25 left in the first period. Just 61 seconds later, forward A.J. Jenks would carry the puck into the Eagles zone and snap a wrister from the top of the right circle to extend Toledo's lead to 2-0.
Colorado would find an answer when defenseman Adrian Veideman wired a slapshot from the circle on the power play to make it 2-1 Walleye with 3:10 remaining in the first period.
Leading by one after the opening 20 minutes, the Walleye would again pull ahead by a pair, as forward Zach Nastasiuk would light the lamp from the low slot just 2:15 into the middle frame to make it 3-1 Toledo.
Heading into the final period of play Colorado would again slice the deficit to one, as forward Curt Gogol deflected a Veideman shot from the point past Toledo goaltender Jake Paterson to make it 3-2 Walleye just 1:40 into the final period of regulation.
A bizarre bounce at the 5:47 mark of the third would prove costly for Colorado, as Toledo forward Dajon Mingo made a routine dump down the glass which took a 45-degree bounce off a partition and into the net, which was left vacant with goaltender Eric Levine stationed behind the net in anticipation of playing the puck. The goal would grow the Walleye lead back to two at 4-2.
For a third time in the contest the Eagles would draw within one score when defenseman Jake Marto banged in a puck on the powerplay from the top of the crease to cut Toledo's advantage to 4-3.
Colorado would pull Levine in favor of the extra attacker, but they would not be able to find the equalizer as the Walleye prevailed with a 4-3 victory.
The Eagles continue their four-game roadtrip with a match-up against the Kalamazoo Wings on Friday at 5:00pm MST at Wings Stadium in Kalamazoo, Michigan.
Tickets for groups of 15 or more start at just $14 per seat and can be purchased by calling the Eagles ticket office at 970-686-SHOT (7468).
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2016
- Norfolk Takes Bite out of Conference Leader in 4-2 Win at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Tame Solar Bears 5-3 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Score Three Power-Play Goals in 4-3 Loss at Toledo - Colorado Eagles
- Comeback Attempt Comes up Short as Solar Bears Fall to Fuel, 5-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Bull Past Colorado 4-3 for Seventh Home Win - Toledo Walleye
- Monarchs Dethrone Royals, 4-3, in Overtime Thriller - Manchester Monarchs
- Elmira Falls to Wheeling in Overtime, 3-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Open Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Bat Away Jackals, 3-2 in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Aces Trade Goaltender Steven Summerhays to Missouri - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- Bootland Brothers Clash, Familiar Faces Return this Weekend at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Knight Assigned to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Stingrays Sign Forward Kelly Zajac - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Kick off Homestand this Weekend - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- 2016/17 Season Tickets on Sale Now at 20% Off - Alaska Aces
- Josh Robinson Called-Up to American Hockey League - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jackals Return Home to Host Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Announce Several Roster Moves - Florida Everblades
- INTRUST Bank Arena Implements Security Enhancements - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Today - February 17 - ECHL
- Mavericks Shutout Tulsa 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Eagles Stories
- Bakersfield Takes 2-1 Series Lead with 5-2 Victory over Eagles
- Colorado Evens Series at 1-1 with 4-1 Win over Condors
- Eagles Fall to Bakersfield in Game One, 3-2
- Colorado Eagles Clinch Playoff Spot, First Round Schedule Announced
- Eagles Defeat San Jose 3-2, Punch Ticket to Playoffs