Everblades Open Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Admirals
NORFOLK, VA - Scott Allen scored a goal while also adding an assist to lead the Norfolk Admirals (21-27-2-1, 45 pts) to a 4-2 victory over the Florida Everblades (33-15-0-1, 67 pts) Wednesday night at the Norfolk Scope.
The Admirals scored the game's opening goal at the 4:16 mark of the first period. Moving the puck into the attacking zone, Scott Allen went alone, scoring his thirteenth goal of the season unassisted to give the Admirals an early 1-0 lead.
Norfolk added to their lead midway through the first period, taking advantage of a turnover in the Everblades zone. Pressuring the 'Blades in their own zone, Nick MacNeil forced a turnover off a poke check, sending the puck toward the slot area. Picking up the puck, Greg Chase snapped a shot past Everblades goaltender Daniel Altshuller.
The Everblades got on the board late in the first period, scoring a power play goal at the 17:32 mark of the opening period. Beginning to up the pressure in the Norfolk zone, defenseman Kevin Montgomery cut the Norfolk lead in half, firing a shot past Admirals' goaltender Nic Riopel to make the score 2-1.
Continuing to fight back, the Everblades began to up the pressure on the Admirals late in the second period. Finally, at the 16:30 mark of the period, the 'Blades found a way to tie the game. Fighting his way down the left wing side, Brendan O'Donnell wristed a low shot through the five hole of Nic Riopel and into the back of the net.
The tie would not last long. With under a minute remaining in the middle frame, Norfolk broke into the attacking zone. Cole Martin fired a shot towards the Everblades net. Screening Daniel Altshuller, Braden Christoffer managed to tip the puck past the Everblades goaltender to once again give the Admirals a one goal lead.
Norfolk earned their second two goal lead of the game off a power play midway through the third period. A shot fired by from the blue line would be tipped through the legs of Daniel Altshuller and off the post. Unfortunately for the 'Blades, the rebound off the post would fall right to the stick of Steven Whitney. The former 'Blades forward banged the puck into the open net, giving the Admirals a 4-2 lead.
Nic Riopel earns the win in goal for the Admirals, stopping 29 of the 31-shots he faced. The returning Daniel Altshuller takes the loss in goal for the Everblades, allowing four goals on the 27-shots he faced.
The Florida Everblades will once again take on the Norfolk Admirals this Friday night at the Norfolk Scope. Puck drop is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. Eastern time. Fans can catch the game broadcast on 770 AM or online.
Images from this story
Florida Everblades Defend their Net vs. the Norfolk Admirals
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 17, 2016
- Norfolk Takes Bite out of Conference Leader in 4-2 Win at Home - Norfolk Admirals
- Fuel Tame Solar Bears 5-3 - Indy Fuel
- Eagles Score Three Power-Play Goals in 4-3 Loss at Toledo - Colorado Eagles
- Comeback Attempt Comes up Short as Solar Bears Fall to Fuel, 5-3 - Orlando Solar Bears
- Walleye Bull Past Colorado 4-3 for Seventh Home Win - Toledo Walleye
- Monarchs Dethrone Royals, 4-3, in Overtime Thriller - Manchester Monarchs
- Elmira Falls to Wheeling in Overtime, 3-2 - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Open Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Admirals - Florida Everblades
- Nailers Bat Away Jackals, 3-2 in Overtime - Wheeling Nailers
- Aces Trade Goaltender Steven Summerhays to Missouri - Alaska Aces
- ECHL Transactions - February 17 - ECHL
- Bootland Brothers Clash, Familiar Faces Return this Weekend at Wings Event Center - Kalamazoo Wings
- Knight Assigned to Mallards - Quad City Mallards
- Stingrays Sign Forward Kelly Zajac - South Carolina Stingrays
- Mallards Kick off Homestand this Weekend - Quad City Mallards
- Nailers at Jackals Game Day Snap Shot - Wheeling Nailers
- 2016/17 Season Tickets on Sale Now at 20% Off - Alaska Aces
- Josh Robinson Called-Up to American Hockey League - Kansas City Mavericks
- Jackals Return Home to Host Wheeling - Elmira Jackals
- Everblades Announce Several Roster Moves - Florida Everblades
- INTRUST Bank Arena Implements Security Enhancements - Wichita Thunder
- Monarchs Game Day Capsule - Manchester Monarchs
- ECHL Today - February 17 - ECHL
- Mavericks Shutout Tulsa 3-0 - Kansas City Mavericks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Florida Everblades Stories
- Late Comeback Falls Short in Game 3 Loss to IceMen
- 'Blades Weekly: Division Semifinals Series with IceMen Shifts to Jacksonville
- Bajkov Returned from AHL's Springfield Thunderbirds
- Mack Attack: McCarron Helps Lead 'Blades to 2-0 Series Lead
- Preview: 'Blades Host IceMen, Seek Two-Game Lead in Series