Monsters Stumble Late in 3-2 Loss to IceHogs
ROCKFORD, IL - The Cleveland Monsters fell to the Rockford IceHogs 3-2 on Tuesday night at BMO Harris Bank Center. With the loss, the Monsters are now 1-3-1-0 and are currently in tied for fifth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Following a scoreless first period, Tyler Sikura notched his first goal with the Monsters on a power-play opportunity at 6:26 of the middle frame off helpers from Nathan Gerbe and Dillon Simpson. Rockford's Evan Barratt tied the game at 15:52 sending the teams to the final intermission searching for the win. Cleveland's Evan Polei broke the tie at 12:27 with his first marker of the year assisted by Justin Scott, but Rockford put away a pair of goals to close out the third period at 16:37 from Andrei Altybarmakyan and 18:27 from Isaak Phillips to secure the 3-2 win.
Cleveland's Veini Vehvilainen made 21 saves in defeat while Rockford's Cale Morris stopped 35 shots in victory.
The Monsters welcome the Rockford IceHogs on Saturday, February 27, for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 1 1 - - 2
RFD 0 1 2 - - 3
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 37 1/3 1/1 7 min / 2 inf
RFD 24 0/1 2/3 11 min / 4 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Vehvilainen L 21 3 0-1-0
RFD Morris W 35 2 1-0-0
Cleveland Record: 1-3-1-0, T-5th Central Division
Rockford Record: 1-5-1-0, T-5th Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from February 23, 2021
- Heat Fall to Toronto Tuesday in Calgary - Stockton Heat
- Monsters Stumble Late in 3-2 Loss to IceHogs - Cleveland Monsters
- Fulcher Reassigned to Detroit's Taxi Squad - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Laval Rocket Unveil Full Schedule for the 2021 Season - Laval Rocket
- Bears Sign Defender Zach Malatesta to PTO - Hershey Bears
- Belleville Senators Announce Temporary Relocation for Home Games for 2020-21 Season - Belleville Senators
- Moose Announce Full 2020-21 Regular Season Schedule - Manitoba Moose
- American Hockey League Releases Full 2020-21 Canadian Division Schedule - AHL
- Heat Announce Remainder of 2020-21 Schedule - Stockton Heat
- Silver Knights Announce Roster Moves - Henderson Silver Knights
- The Bridgeport Report: Week 3 - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Hershey Bears Weekly #3: Chocolate and White off to Best Start in Nearly a Decade - Hershey Bears
- Heat, Marlies Run It Back Tuesday - Stockton Heat
- Tucson Roadrunners Road Ahead: Week of February 22, 2021 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Syracuse Crunch, Rochester Americans Game Rescheduled for March 1 - Syracuse Crunch
- Amerks Announce Schedule Change - Rochester Americans
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Change - AHL
- Hogs Game Day: IceHogs and Monsters Rematch at BMO Harris Bank Center Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Moose Take Down Rocket in OT - Manitoba Moose
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Blue Jackets Reassign Three Players to Taxi Squad from Cleveland
- Monsters Set New Franchise Record with 9-2 Victory over Amerks
- Blue Jackets Reassign Defensemen Bayreuther, Peeke to Taxi Squad
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Liam Foudy to Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes