Monsters 3-1 Win over Stars Sets Tone for Three Game Homestand
CLEVELAND - The Cleveland Monsters beat the Texas Stars 3-1 on Thursday evening at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse in the franchise's 1,000th AHL regular season game. With the win, the Monsters are now 5-4-1-0 and are currently in fourth place in the AHL's Central Division standings.
Following a scoreless opening period, Cleveland's Adam Clendening scored the lone marker of the middle frame at 7:35 with assists from Carson Meyer and Justin Scott. The Stars tied the game after Nick Baptiste converted a power-play opportunity at 10:19 of the final period, but Tyler Angle responded with a shorthanded tally at 14:00 off feeds from Liam Foudy and Jake Christiansen to regain the lead. The Monsters secured the win following an empty-net goal from Angle assisted by Foudy and Gavin Bayreuther bringing the final score to 3-1.
Cleveland's Brad Thiessen made 31 saves in victory while Texas' Tomas Sholl stopped 32 shots in defeat.
The Monsters faceoff against the Texas Stars again on Saturday, March 27, with a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 0 1 2 - - 3
TEX 0 0 1 - - 1
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 35 0/5 3/4 8 min / 4 inf
TEX 32 1/4 5/5 10 min / 5 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Thiessen W 31 1 2-3-1
TEX Sholl L 32 2 4-2-1
Cleveland Record: 5-4-1-0, 4th Central Division
Texas Record: 8-5-2-0, 3rd Central Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from March 25, 2021
- Stars Falter Opening Game in Cleveland - Texas Stars
- Monsters 3-1 Win over Stars Sets Tone for Three Game Homestand - Cleveland Monsters
- Wolves Insider: A Rivalry Unlike Any Other - Chicago Wolves
- San Diego Gulls Sign Center Alex Limoges to PTO - San Diego Gulls
- Hartford Wolf Pack Score Three First Period Goals, Take Down P-Bruins, 4-2 - Providence Bruins
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Changes - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Schedule Additions - AHL
- Two Cleveland Games Added to Griffins' Schedule - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Defenseman Conor Timmins Reassigned to Eagles - Colorado Eagles
- An Historic Winning Streak for Michael McNiven - Laval Rocket
- Morin and Lyon Recalled to Taxi Squad - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Devils Sign Forward Aarne Talvitie - Binghamton Devils
- Barracuda Earn Point in Shootout Loss - San Jose Barracuda
- Colorado Hands Henderson First Home Loss, 5-2 - Colorado Eagles
- San Diego Pulls away in Third - Ontario Reign
- Silver Knights Suffer First Home Loss, 5-2 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Defense Leads Gulls to 5-3 Win over Ontario - San Diego Gulls
- Woll Earns First Shutout, Marlies Silence Senators 3-0 - Toronto Marlies
- Phantoms Take First Home Loss of 2021 - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Monsters Sign Brett Gallant, Adam Helewka, Cole Clayton to AHL Deals
- Monsters Celebrate Fifth Anniversary of Calder Cup Championship
- AHL Board of Governors Approves Plan for Schedule Unification
- Monsters Late Fight Not Enough in 4-1 Loss to Griffins
- Monsters Pick up 6-4 Win over Griffins in Home Finale